Applying for an Adjunct Faculty Position
Adjunct Faculty should enjoy teaching and working closely with students. Applicants must have an advanced degree such as a Masters, a terminal degree in your field, or a Ph.D., as well as practical experience in industry, teaching, or academia.
Step 1: Prepare Your Vita
When you prepare your academic vita outline the following:
- Education - all college degrees earned, schools, dates
- Professional experience - relative full and part-time positions
- Professional organizations - memberships in professional organizations, affiliations, committees, offices, boards, etc.
- Publications - publications including articles in professional newsletters, journals, books or popular press
- Other skills - training, certifications, workshops, special skills
- Computer skills - hardware and software program proficiencies Include web development or other projects like graphics presentations or databases that were created as a result of computer skills
- Leadership qualities - activities in the community like volunteer jobs, boards, organization of events, charitable activities, etc.
- Teaching experiences - schools, professional, industrial, or volunteer teaching experiences
Step 2: Prepare Your Cover Letter
In your cover letter, please include the following:
- Course(s) you are interested in teaching - visit Westminster's course catalog and list courses you would like to teach
- How your expertise benefits Westminster College - Westminster is a college that prides itself on its high quality teaching. How would your personality and background fit?
- Special interests or skills - are there any skills not mentioned above that you would like to highlight?
Step 3: Submit Your Vita and Cover Letter
Submit your information via our online job site.
Adjunct Faculty positions are divided into thirteen broad categories. Please spend a few moments reviewing the category that best matches your area(s) of academic expertise. You may apply for more than one area, based upon your background and expertise.
Your application will stay on file and is accessible to the Adjunct Faculty Coordinator and to each School’s Deans and Division Chairs. As Adjunct Faculty positions become available, we peruse this database for candidates that best match our needs.
If you don’t hear back from anyone immediately after applying for a position, that means we currently have our classes assigned. As our classes and Adjunct Faculty change, we may call upon you to interview for a position.
For more information, contact the Adjunct Faculty Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.