SHS offers a variety of services. The following are some of the services offered at SHS.
- If you are a new patient (or have not done so before) you will be asked to fill out a patient history form. The history is vital to ensure that you receive the appropriate medical care. In order to save some time at SHS, print and complete the necessary forms before your appointment. Give the completed forms to the receptionist when you check in.
breast exams, and birth control options
- General Checkup
- Sports Exams, Study Abroad, some military physical exams
- Women's Health: Well female exams including pap smears,
- Men's Health: Testicular Exams
- STD/STI Check - eduation and information
- Management of most mental health issues
- Cough, Colds, Flu
- Sore Throat
- Abdominal Pain
- Mental Health
- Urethritis evaluation
- The Nurse Practitioner can write prescriptions for most medications. There is no pharmacy on campus. A list of local pharmacies can be found here. Some pharmacies are within walking distance.
- Adacel (Tdap)
- Hepatitis A - may be able to supply with advance notice
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza - Available every fall semester - $20
- Menactra (Meningitis) - Currently required for all on campus housing
If you need other immunizations not listed, you may contact your health care provider or the health department for additional resources. Or call SHS and we will be happy to help you find what you need.
Currently MenB (Serogroup B Meningococcal vaccine) is not required for housing at Westminster College. SHS strongly recommends you discuss this vaccine with your primary care provider to determine if this vaccines is appropriate for you. The vaccine is available from two different manufacturers and is recommended to be completed as a series of two or three injections, depending on the choice of vaccine.
- Basic First Aid Care
- Wart Removal
- Ear Irrigation
- Suturing of simple lacerations
- Albuterol nebulizer treatments
in-house tests Available at SHS
- TB (PPD)
- Urine HCG (Pregnancy) Test
- Rapid Strep Screen
- Urine Analysis
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Cholesterol Check
- Complete Blood Count
- Confidential STD Testing
- Liver Function Tests
- Pap Smear
- Thyroid Studies
Availability of labs, in house tests, and prices are subject to change.
- Prescriptions for Birth Control - The nurse practitioner can discuss different birth control options with you, as well as write you a prescription for the pill, the patch, Depo-Provera, or the ring. IUCs (intrauterine contraceptive), Implanon, diaphragms, and cervical caps are not available at SHS.
- Pregnancy Preparation
- Emergency Contraception - "The Morning After Pill" - If you are 18 years of age or older you can go directly to your local drugstore to get Plan B. If you are younger than 18, then you will need to visit SHS for a prescription.