1. Are there additional entrance requirements for the Flight Operations major?
    Yes, in addition to meeting the academic requirements for the college, those interested in the Flight Operation major must obtain a Class II or Class I aviation physical prior to registering for flight labs. Please visit the Aviation Medical Examiners site for providers in your area. Students must also provide proof of citizenship with a passport or driver's license and birth certificate. Students who are not United States citizens must also complete additional entrance requirements that may take up to six weeks to process.
  2. Do I need to have 20/20 vision in order to be a professional pilot? No. As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20, that does not prevent you from obtaining your pilot licenses and certificates.
  3. Do you have an ROTC program at Westminster College?
    Our ROTC program works through the University of Utah, although you will complete your flight training and college degree at Westminster College. Currently we have very strong Navy and Air Force students, some of whom have moved on to be ranked #1 in their respective military flight schools. Find out more about the Navy ROTC and the Air Force ROTC programs.
  4. Are flight training costs included with normal tuition?
    No, flight training costs are in addition to tuition costs. You will need to set up a flight training account with the cashier's office prior to your first flight. Your training will automatically be billed to this account after each flight. An information sheet that estimates additional flight training costs is available for your review. Scholarship and loan information can be found on the Financial Aid website.
  5. Where do you conduct your flight training?
    Our Flight Operations Center is located at Salt Lake City International Airport. Our facilities are among the finest in the state. Operating from an international airport offers invaluable experience that is essential for professional aviators.
  6. Is there a possibility of being hired as a Westminster flight instructor upon graduation?
    Yes, we offer a CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) internship for those who complete this license. Our full-time instructors mentor the interns to help prepare them for CFI employment. We attempt to hire as many instructors as we can from our intern pool.
  7. Is it possible to just take the flight training courses, and major in something other than Flight Operations?
    Yes, students may choose to major in any program of study that is offered at Westminster while also completing their flight courses with us. Students who would like to explore other, non-aviation degree options are invited to meet with academic advisors who can customize a four year plan of study that best aligns with their career goals. A variety of exciting major and minor degree options are available!
  8. How much does it cost to fly the flight simulators?
    We have multiple flight simulators (technically called "flight training devices") at the Flight Operations Center and in our Flight Simulation and Testing Center. For a nominal lab fee (charged fall and spring semesters only), students have unlimited solo use of the PCATDs, the MFD, and software training resources during lab hours. Much of your training, and especially practice, can be accomplished in the simulators resulting in a significant cost savings.
  9. Do you have a NIFA (National Intercollegiate Flying Association) flight team?
    Yes, we started competing in 2002 and have been very successful. NIFA offers an opportunity to challenge and increase our student's aviation knowledge and skills. We have been recognized numerous times at the regional and national levels for our safety procedures. We have hosted the regional event, and have attended Nationals three times--in 2005, 2007, and 2008. In the 2007 National SafeCon, we won the Loening Trophy--recognizing us as the top all-around aviation program in the country. You can find out more about NIFA.
  10. What if I already have a Private Pilot certificate? Can I receive college credit for previous training?
    Yes, Westminster College will consider prior learning credit for students who have received flight and ground training under FAR Part 141 for Private, and Commercial certificates, and Instrument ratings. For training conducted under FAR Part 61, the college will only consider awarding credit for the Private certificate and Instrument rating. Prior learning credit can be awarded after assessing the transfer student's knowledge and flight ability. Refer to the Aviation Studies course catalog for the latest policies.
  11. Do you provide transportation from campus to the Flight Operations Center at Salt Lake City Int. airport?  No, students are responsible to provide their own transportation to and from the Flight Operations Center.  This is a 9 mile drive from campus. UTA provides bus service from campus to the Flight Operations Center--with one downtown transfer. Students are also encouraged to carpool as many students are scheduled during the same flight blocks.
  12. How do I schedule a visit to campus, the Flight Operations Center, and/or the Flight Simulation and Testing Center?
    Call the Admissions Department at 1.800.748.4753 or 801.832.2200.