McNair Scholars Program
Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program at Westminster College
Preparing academically talented undergraduates today, to change the face of higher education tomorrow.
The McNair Scholars Program is a federally funded effort to increase the number of students from underrepresented groups who go on to graduate study.The program is named after Ronald E. McNair, an African American physicist and NASA astronaut who died in the Challenger explosion in 1986.
The Westminster College McNair Scholars Program draws students from three campuses: Westminster College, Salt Lake Community College and the University of Utah. By encouraging and supporting qualified students through undergraduate school and the transition to graduate school, the ultimate goal is to increase faculty diversity in colleges and universities.
Phone: (801) 832-3250(801) 832-3250
In FY 2015-16, the Westminster College McNair Scholars Program is funded at approximately $341,000. Of this amount, $231,000 (68%) is an annual grant from the U. S. Department of Education. Westminster College provides the remaining 32% by contributing over $110,000 of support each year, with assistance from the Henry W. and Leslie M. Eskuche Foundation.