Admission to the Nursing Program
In addition to applying for admission to Westminster College, students apply to progress into the Nursing Program during the sophomore year of study. Application packets must be picked up in the Nursing Office. Acceptance is determined by the School of Nursing and Health Sciences Admission and Progression Committee, which bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- A minimum cumulative and prerequisite grade point average of 2.80 (from all institutions of higher education attended) and a grade of C or higher in all prerequisite courses. See prerequisite support course requirements.
- Proof of one of the following: a certificate and/or license as a CNA, LPN/PN, MA, or EMT. Alternatively, if you are enrolled in a course, you will have a grade period until October 1, 2015 to show proof of completion of the course. Click here for a list of approved CNA programs in Utah.
- Three recommendation forms indicating qualifications for success in nursing. Examples include employers, professors, instructors, or teachers. Transfer students from another school of nursing must also submit a letter of recommendation from the transfer school's Dean of Nursing.
- Previous enrollment at Westminster College is beneficial to qualified applicants.
- A typed Letter of Intent, which includes statements related to the candidate's skills and qualifications. The letter is evaluated on content, clarity, motivation to become a nurse, spelling, and grammar.
- Students will be required to provide background check results at time of application. Background checks must be free of criminal arrest history.
- Students will be required to provide negative drug testing results from an approved laboratory at time of application.
- Students must meet the State of Utah Student Nurse Physical Demands Policy requirement. Click here for the policy.
For further information, please refer to the application packet.
Applications to progress in the undergraduate nursing program will be reviewed after the applicant submits a completed application form, copies of transcripts from all schools attended, and recommendation forms to the School of Nursing and Health Sciences. Applications will only be reviewed for those students who have submitted all necessary paperwork in person by the identified deadline.
Have more questions? Check the Nursing F.A.Q. page.