Converse in the spring Website
Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

Westminster College participates with the state of Utah State Transfer Articulation Committee and has established well over 67,000 course equivalencies from Utah schools and schools around the country. Transfer evaluations are processed in the Registrar's Office within 48 hours of the receipt of most college transcripts. Transfer guidelines are as follows:

Westminster College awards transfer credit for coursework that meets the following criteria:

  • The transfer institution is regionally accredited;
  • The credit awarded is for non-remedial coursework taken in general academic areas that are part of the Westminster curriculum;
  • The credit awarded is for coursework with grades of C- or better. Marks of credit (CR) or pass (P) are not accepted unless verified as equivalent to a C- or above. (Except physical education classes which are offered only for grades of CR or P.)

A maximum of 72 credit hours may be awarded from two-year institutions and it is not possible to earn upper division hours from a two year school. A maximum of 88 credit hours transferred from all collegiate institutions attended (two-year and four-year) and external credit (i.e. CLEP, AP or other credit earned by external means)  may be applied toward meeting the total number of hours required for graduation.

Courses transferred from other academic institutions count for credit hours and requirements only; grades from transfer course work are not calculated into the Westminster College GPA.

Transfer Credit Appeal

Westminster makes every effort to award transfer credit that is relevant to a student’s anticipated major, fits within our general academic areas, and does not artificially inflate completed hours in a way that might jeopardize a student’s ability to be eligible for continued financial aid.  However, it is not always possible to determine the nature of a class from just a course title on the transcript and often, more information is required to determine Westminster equivalencies.  Any student that wishes to appeal a transfer decision may proceed as follows:

  • Review your transfer evaluation thoroughly with your transfer advisor in the Start Center.
  • Provide a syllabus to your transfer advisor for any course in question.
  • The Start center advisors will forward your syllabus to the Transfer Coordinator and the Dean of the Appropriate School for a review.
  • You will receive written confirmation regarding any transfer decision either with an adjusted Transfer Evaluation award or a letter outlining any decision to deny your appeal.

A change in intended major may necessitate a revision of transfer credit if particular courses were eliminated as part of our initial screening for course work applicable to your stated major.  Transfer students are advised to meet with faculty advisors in their major as soon as possible to resolve any remaining transfer issues.


 For information about how your specific course work transfers to Westminster, please see the TransferUtah website below: 

INTERnational Transfer Credit

All international transcripts are evaluated by external services such as Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI) or World Education Services (WES), which determines the level of coursework taken and the semester hour and grade equivalents. Only coursework that is determined to be equivalent to college-level academic work that meets the criteria noted above will be considered for transfer. Transfer acceptance of hours from foreign institutions does not guarantee fulfillment of like courses in majors and minors at Westminster unless approved by the faculty.

Submitting Transcripts for Evaluation

Contact your previous schools and request an official transcript be sent to the Admissions Office at Westminster at the following address:

Admissions Office
Westminster College
1840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84105