This MED program prepares you to submit materials for National Board Certification in certification areas relating to Special Education, while earning your license to teach Special Education with Mild-moderate students, K–12.
Special Educators have opportunities to have personal and rewarding interactions with students with disabilities. Special educators are in great demand in Utah as well as throughout the country.
Here at Westminster College, graduate students are provided with opportunities to pursue their interests in special education through a well-established, challenging degree program that leads to employment in this area of critical need. Courses are offered at times convenient for working teachers and paraprofessionals.
National Board Certification Preparation with an MED and Special Education Endorsement (second license) (40 credits)
Students who select this area of specialization must hold a teaching license and complete the full Special Education Endorsement program. Graduates will be licensed to teach K–12 students with mild to moderate or severe disabilities.
- SPED 503 Roles of the Special Educator (3)
- SPED 508 Prins & Application of Spec Ed Assessment (3)
- SPED 577 Facilitating Services Across Disciplines (3)
- SPED 585 Behavioral Supports in Special Education (3)
- SPED 590 Student Teaching in Special Education (4)
Students preparing for Mild/Moderate Special Education take
- SPED 535 Methods of Instruction and Curriculum for K–6 Spec Ed I (3)
- SPED 540 Methods of Instruction and Curriculum for 7–12 Spec Ed II (3)
Students preparing for Severe Special Education take
- SPED 536 Methods of Instruction and Curriculum for K–6 Severe Special Education Ed I (3)
- SPED 541 Methods of Instruction and Curriculum for 7–12 Severe Special Education II (3)
- MED 640 Introduction to National Board Certification (2)
- MED 642 Communities, Schools & Families in a Diverse Society (3)
- MED 672 Instructional Technology (3)
- MED 650 Introduction to Research Methods (2)
- MED 678 Action Research for National Board Certification (2)
- MED 679 Research Methodologies (3)
- MED 680 Research Project (3)