Bias Response Resources
Achieving Bias-Free Communication
- Be aware of words, images, and situations that suggest all or most of a group are
the same. Stereotypes often lead to assumptions that are unsupportable and offensive.
- Avoid qualifiers that reinforce stereotypes. A qualifier is added information that
suggests an exception to what is expected.
- Identify people by characteristics only when relevant. Few situations require such
- Be aware of language that has questionable racial, ethnic, class, or sexual orientation
connotations. While a word or phrase may not be personally offensive to you, it may
be to others.
- Avoid patronizing language and tokenism toward any group.
- Substitute substantive information for ethnic clichés.
- Review language, images, and other forms of communication to make sure all groups
are fairly represented.