The Westminster Tax Clinic offers free tax preparation and financial advocacy services to low-to-moderate income families. Students from the Westminster Accounting program gain practical experience while serving the community and are dedicated to being available to anyone in need. The 2021 clinic will be open until April, 15 2021.
At this time, the Westminster Tax Clinic does not anticipate allowing any walk-ins, given the current COVID-19 situation. However, this may change, so contact the clinic if you have any questions.
The Salt Lake County Government - North Building location is open for appointments, drop-off, and virtual meetings beginning January 25, 2021.
Salt Lake County Government Center
2001 South State Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84190
- Monday: 4:30–9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 4:30–9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 4:30–9:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 4:30–9:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
The clinic remains open until the last client is served.
The West Valley location is open for appointments, drop-off, and virtual meetings beginning January 28, 2021.
Salt Lake Community College
3460 South 5600 West
West Valley City, Utah 84128
- Thursday: 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
The clinic remains open until the last client is served.
Westminster College is a drop-off only location. Drop-off packets are only available at the main location.
Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business
Main Office (2nd Floor)
1840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
- Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Download and print your IRS intake form. To protect your privacy, do not email forms that include your personal information, especially your social security number, to anyone.
- Gather government-issued photo IDs and SSN/ITIN cards for yourself and anyone on your return.
- Gather all necessary tax documents and previous years' tax returns if you have them.
- Schedule an appointment or drop-off during business hours.
- Arrive at your appointment with all your documents. Don't forget your face mask.
Given the currentDue to COVID-19 situation, the Westminster Tax Clinic is planning to modifying theoperations plans at the Salt Lake County Government appointment location for the upcoming tax year. This is what we haveis in place for the spring of 2021:
- All taxpayers will be served on an appointment and drop-off basis only. As of right
now, the clinic does not anticipate allowing any walk-ins.
- Appointments will be spaced out to only 4–6 appointments at a time so staff can limit the number of taxpayers on site.
- The Westminster Tax Clinic will use a script when making appointments with clients to go over COVID-19 guidelines and wellness screening.
- The clinic will notify all clients about the possibility of filling out the required documents online so staff can limit the amount of time each person spends on the Salt Lake County premises. Additionally, it is advised that clients wait in their cars until it is their time to be served and staff will text them once it is their turn.
- No more than 6–8 volunteers will be on-site at any given time.
- Wellness Checks:
- Volunteers: Wellness of all volunteers will be tracked daily, utilizing the workplace coordinator checklist provided by Salt Lake County. Volunteers’ temperature will be taken (contactless) before allowing them to report to work.
- Clients: All taxpayers will be screened for symptoms and the clinic will take the contactless temperature of all taxpayers before serving them as clients.
- The clinic will ensure each station is equipped with a plexiglass protective shield and sanitizing supplies. Additionally, all clients and volunteers will be mandated to wear a mask.
- Cleaning Protocols:
- Sanitizers, cleaning supplies, masks, and gloves will be provided by the clinic.
- Desks, pens, clipboards, and any common items touched by more than 1 person will be cleaned.
Although this year will be much different, the clinic staff are grateful for the opportunity to do what they can to help serve the community. The clinic is open to any feedback Salt Lake County may have and will actively work to comply with current guidelines and recommendations.
The Westminster College tax clinic offers a wide range of services, both for individual tax return preparation and financial advocacy.
Prepare and Submit
- Federal and multi-state tax returns
- Applications to the Department of Workforce Services for food stamps, medical, and childcare
- Applications to Salt Lake County Treasurer’s Office for property tax abatements and tax delinquencies
- Applications to Utah Community Action for housing, heat, and weatherization
- Applications to Salt Lake City Corporation for the handyman grant, home rehab loan program, and home buyer program (services for SLC residents only)
- The AAA Fair Credit Foundation for Individual Development Accounts set-up and education, Debt Management, Debt Settlement, Financial Coaching, and Credit and Budget Counseling
- The Community Development Corporation of Utah for foreclosure prevention services, the Home Repair Program, the HomeFit Mortgage Program, and the Down Payment Assistance Program, and more (to be eligible for CDCU programs you must first complete a class)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to low-to-moderate income families, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Our IRS-certified volunteers provide free income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
The Westminster Tax Clinic seeks to assist individuals in achieving financial stability and self-sufficiency.
- AAA Fair Credit Foundation
- Individual Development Accounts (IDAs)
- Credit and Budget Counseling
- Debt Management
- Community Development Corporation of Utah (CDCU)
- Foreclosure Prevention Services
- Home Repair Program
- HomeFit Mortgage Program
- Down Payment Assistance Program
- Department of Workforce Services
- Food stamps
- Medical assistance
- Child care
- Salt Lake City Corporation
- Handyman Grant
- Home Rehab Program
- Home Buyer Program
- Salt Lake County Treasurer
- Tax Abatement for Real Property Taxes
- Delinquent Taxes for residents of Salt Lake County