Westminster College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. Upon acceptance and payment of the deposit, non-immigrant students will submit the financial guarantee documents and request the initial or transfer SEVIS Form I-20.
The SEVIS Form I-20 is a three-page document used by students to obtain an F-1 visa. Students who are entering the United States with an I-20 for initial attendance will need to complete the following steps:
- Payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee. The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses SEVIS fee payments to fund and maintain the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the immigration database used to process documents for international students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States.
- Apply for the non-immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. All visa applicants must submit a completed DS-160 Online Non-immigrant Visa Application. You will need your passport and SEVIS ID number to complete this form.
- Schedule the visa interview.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Prepare for and attend the visa interview.
Note: F-1 students and their dependents are permitted to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the report date, which #5 on the I-20 form. Dependents (spouse or children) accompanying the F-1 student in F-2 status must have their own SEVIS Form I-20 issued in the name of the dependent.
For more information about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student, visit Study in the States.