International Admissions

We Welcome Students from Across the Globe

Westminster provides comprehensive support and services for degree seeking undergraduate and graduate international students, as well as short-term exchange students. Each semester we provide an orientation for new international students, in addition to many other programs and activities designed to create an inclusive community.

Our Academic Programs

Each one of our academic programs incorporates many opportunities for participation and practical experience. We believe that small classes sizes taught by excellent professors will provide the sufficient individual attention for you to thrive during your college experience. 

Our Campus Community

Our campus community is firendly and welcoming. We have just 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students, so everyone gets to know everyone else well. You will quickly become close friends with American and other international students who will enjoy learning more about your background and culture as they teach you about theirs. Not only will your English skills improve on a daily basis, but you will have the opportunity to share your language with others, discovering that we all are not that different. 

Our Location

Salt Lake City is a wonderful, safe metropolitan area with all the advantages you would expect in a major American city. Unlike most U.S. cities, Salt Lake City is just a short drive from the best recreation areas in the Rocky Mountains—in fact, the 2002 Winter Olympics were held here. We are also close to numerous national parks, the Utah desert, and the Great Salt Lake, the largest inland salt lake in the Western hemisphere.

Virtual Tour


International Exchange Students

The college accepts and enrolls students from our partner institutions who are citizens of countries other than the United States for exchange programs. Full-time international exchange students are issued DS-2019 forms to enable them to apply for the J-1 exchange student visas. Exchange students from the following partner institutions may apply using the exchange student application.

  • HTW des Saarlandes, Germany
  • ISEP students should contact the ISEP Coordinator at the home school and use the ISEP application
  • Universidad Autonoma de Bucaramanga
  • University of the Highlands and Islands

Admission Requirements

Exchange students must submit the following materials to the Director of Student International Services:

  1. Exchange student application for admission (application fee is waived)
  2. Nomination letter from an academic advisor, professor, dean, or exchange coordinator at the partner institution.
  3. Official transcripts showing all coursework completed and in progress at the partner institution. All transcripts must be submitted with an official English translation.Evidence of adequate financial support to cover the total cost of attendance for the duration of the exchange (one or two semesters). This most commonly comes in the form of a certified bank statement or bank letter.
  4. Statement of Financial Responsibility completed by the student and/or financial guarantor.
  5. Exchange students who are non-native speakers of English must submit results of a standardized English language test. Students whose primary and secondary education took place in one of the countries: Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, the United States. Exchange applicants who graduated from an English-speaking high school may be exempt from this requirement. Westminster College accepts scores from TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearsons. The required scores for undergraduate admission include one of the following:
    • TOEFL ibt: 79
    • TOEFL pbt: 550
    • IELTS: 6.5
    • Pearsons: 53

    The required scores for graduate admission include one of the following:

    • TOEFL ibt: 100
    • TOEFL pbt: 600
    • IELTS: 7.0
    • Exchange students who have attended another college or university in the U. S. and have completed a minimum of 15 academic credits may not need to present a TOEFL score.
    • Photocopy of the identification page of the applicant’s passport.

All materials submitted to the Office of Admissions become the property of the college and cannot be returned to the student or sent to another school. If the student’s school or ministry of education issues only one copy of secondary school grades or examination scores, the Office of Admissions will make a certified copy and return the original to the student; however, in all cases copies must be made from originals. Duplicated copies will not be accepted.

Once all required documentation has been received and the student has been accepted for admission, a Form DS-2019 will be sent to the student.

Application Deadlines

  • October 15 for Spring Semester (January-April)
  • April 1 for Fall Semester (August – December)

Westminster College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students.  Upon acceptance and payment of the deposit, non-immigrant students will submit the financial guarantee documents and request the initial or transfer SEVIS Form I-20.

The SEVIS Form I-20 is a three-page document used by students to obtain an F-1 visa.  Students who are entering the United States with an I-20 for initial attendance will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee. The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses SEVIS fee payments to fund and maintain the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the immigration database used to process documents for international students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States.
  2. Apply for the non-immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  All visa applicants must submit a completed DS-160 Online Non-immigrant Visa Application.  You will need your passport and SEVIS ID number to complete this form.
  3. Schedule the visa interview.
  4. Pay the visa application fee.
  5. Prepare for and attend the visa interview.

Note: F-1 students and their dependents are permitted to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the report date, which #5 on the I-20 form. Dependents (spouse or children) accompanying the F-1 student in F-2 status must have their own SEVIS Form I-20 issued in the name of the dependent.

For more information about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student, visit Study in the States

Contact Us

We offer international students personal assistance with every step of the application and financial aid process. Please contact us by email, mail, telephone, or fax and we will personally respond to all your questions.

Contact Us