Register for An Internship
Log internship hours
Eligibility and Requirements
Which majors require an internship?
All Gore School of Business majors and Arts Administration and Communication majors, other majors in Arts and Sciences and Public Health may choose to do an internship—contact the Career Center or your academic advisor for additional information.
Am I eligible to do an internship? You are if you have:
- 60 college credits completed. Transfer and MBA students must have completed at least 15 hours at Westminster
- 2.5 GPA or better (3.0 for MBA students)
- Some courses in your major or minor completed
How do I find an internship?
A student must secure an internship before registering for course credit. Internship possibilities include working at most types of organizations including private businesses, non-profits, and for the government. You can intern anywhere in the world.
There is no one "right way" to find an internship. You may consider utilizing one or more of the following resources to help you secure your internship:
Internship postings available through the Career Center
The Career Center receives internship postings each day. These are posted on Employment Wizard.
Assistance from members of the Career Center staff
Make an appointment by calling 801-832-2590 to receive individual assistance in identifying potential internship opportunities and leads.
Your current job
You may complete an internship at your current place of employment, but you must be given new responsibilities or duties which translate to professional, meaningful work in your field of study.
Check these sources for internship opportunities related to your field.
Friends, professors, relatives, new connections
Networking, including LinkedIn, is an excellent means of tapping into internships. Talk to your friends, acquaintances, Westminster contacts, and anyone else you can think of about who they know, in your field of interest, with a connection that might lead to an internship opportunity.
Internship registration is an easy online process. Before you login to begin the registration process you will need to know or have the following available:
- How many credits to sign up for
Who your faculty internship coordinator is
- You will receive 1 credit for every 42 hours worked.
- Business majors are required to complete at least 2 credits.
- Depending upon your major, you can receive from 1 to 8 credits per semester. Work with your academic advisor to determine how many credits to sign up for.
- Internships for credit are not available during the May Term.
- Internship credit hours are billed at the same rate as other courses.
This is the person that will approve your internship for your major department and will grade your internship. You should meet with the coordinator before registering as they will be getting an email to approve the internship.
For Business majors your coordinator is Steve Hurlbut email@example.com
Other majors will work with a full-time faculty member you select from your department. Ask a faculty member if they want to be your internship coordinator or talk to your advisor.
The following information for your internship
A copy of your resume to uploadYour Learning Objectives
- Organization Name
- Organization Address
- Supervisor Name, phone #, and email address (it is very important to get a correct email so that the registration can be completed)
Register for An Internship