Federal Work Study Information

How does it work?

Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that provides job opportunities for students to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Westminster employs hundreds of students each year in different areas. The Federal Work Study Program will provide you with valuable work experience as well as a paycheck.

What does the Federal Work Study amount on my award letter mean?

The total amount of your Federal Work Study award lets you know how much you are eligible to earn during the school year.

The Federal Work Study award amount will not be subtracted from your tuition bill up front. Instead the award simply means that you are eligible to earn those funds by working at a job on campus. The work study award does not guarantee a job on campus; you will need to apply, interview and be hired. For help building a resume, work with the Career Center.

If you have not been awarded any Federal Work Study, you can still have a job on campus, although some positions are available to students awarded Federal Work Study only.

How many hours a week may I work?

On-campus jobs offer part-time employment. Typically, this means students can work anywhere from 1 to 20 hours per week. The number of hours you are eligible to work depends on the individual needs of the department. Different positions also offer variable hours per week.

How do I find a job?

Check the Student Job Board to see current student job openings. Be sure to apply for multiple positions to increase your chances of getting hired.

Orientation weekend includes a Student Employment Preparation Meeting for incoming student to give you tips on landing a job on campus. The weekend also has a Campus Job Fair where you can talk to hiring supervisors and submit your resume.

How do I get paid?

Westminster pays student employees every two weeks and offers two options for receiving your pay. You may either have your paycheck directly deposited into your personal checking or savings account, or you may choose to have your paychecks automatically applied to your student tuition bill account.

Where do I go if I have questions?

If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 801.832.2500 or toll free at 800.784.4753.