Coronavirus Update for Parents and Families from the Dean of Students
March 13, 2020
I’d like to provide information on how we are monitoring and managing the rapidly-evolving nature of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on Westminster. The safety and well-being of our students and the campus community are of utmost importance to us.
College emergency planning committees are meeting regularly to address, develop, and implement response protocols on our campus. Campus leadership, health and safety directors, and professors with relevant areas of expertise are working together to lead efforts to help contain the spread of the virus.
The measures we have implemented to protect the health and well-being of our students, faculty and staff currently include:
- Postponing in-person instruction as faculty prepare to deliver courses remotely.
- Online/asynchronous course instruction will resume Monday, March 23 and continue until at least Friday, March 27, after which time in-person instruction may resume.
- Canceling campus events until at least Friday, March 27.
- Canceling athletic contests for the spring semester.
- Requiring residential students to postpone their return to campus housing after spring break, unless doing so presents undue hardship for them. If this is the case, we are asking students to contact the Office of Residence Life at email@example.com within 48 hours indicating the extenuating circumstance preventing them from staying or returning home, and a telephone number that we can reach them directly to follow up. Please be aware that some campus services will be limited while instruction is conducted remotely.
- Ending sponsorship of college-related travel to any country with a CDC level 3 advisory. These advisories change frequently and currently include China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy. Japan is also experiencing sustained spread of the virus and travelers are encouraged to take precautions.
For campus updates and recommendations on COVID-19, please visit the Westminster College COVID-19 webpage frequently. All updates to students and the campus community are posted there.
Any immediate concerns will be communicated through the emergency notification system (ENS). If your student has not added you to the ENS system, please have them add you in their self-service account under “user options”.
Please be assured that we are continuing to monitor this global health event and making changes as necessary. We appreciate your patience and flexibility as we review and revise our protocols to preserve and deliver our high-quality student learning experience. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Emergency Updates
Verify that your contact information is up-to-date by checking your user profile in Self-Service.
Prepare for an Emergency
Get preparedness information and resources specific to Westminster College to be ready for an emergency situation.