Guidance for Supervisors of Student Employees
March 27, 2020
First off, we want to say thank you for your patience during these challenging times. We know there has been continued anxiety around what is going to happen regarding student employment post March 27th. We have been working diligently to develop a solution for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. We are pleased to announce that students in some functions will be allowed to do work remotely during this time. For those that will not be able to, they will be able to apply for income replacement; these options are outlined below. Please read through carefully. attached you will find the Temporary Remote Work Agreement, the communication going out to the students, as well as the updated income replacement form for students. if there are any questions please let us know.
Supervisors have 3 options for student employees:
- Student employees can continue to work on campus.
- Student employees can work remotely if approved by their supervisor and the Career Center.
- Student employees can apply for income replacement.
The Career Center will process student employees according to their employment status as either federal work study or non-federal work study. Students who have federal work study will be paid at 100% income replacement according to the Department of Education guidance and non-federal work study students will be paid at 60% income replacement.
Eligibility for Remote Work
We recognize that not all student employee functions are able to be completed remotely. Only functions which can be completed remotely should be done; a reduction in hours may be required. Examples of remote positions include: tutors, graders, peer mentors, academic research, virtual ambassadors, or administrative projects outlined by the supervisor. Additionally, positions must be fully remote (i.e. not splitting of time).
If students are approved for remote work, supervisors will be responsible for the following:
- Supervisor must have regular contact/communication with student employee.
- Ensure that student is available during regularly scheduled hours.
- Ensure that a Temporary Remote Work Agreement is completed by the student employee, approved by supervisor, and sent to Student Employment (email@example.com) prior to starting to work remotely.
Students unable to work due to any reason related to COVID-19; including work not available:
- If unable to work remotely students will be paid out at 100% for federal work study and all others at 60%.
- Student must initiate the income replacement form and the supervisor must submit to the Student Employment inbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than April 10, 2020 to be paid out by the end of April.
- All hours must be submitted on 1 form.
- Supervisors should review the form for errors and completion prior to approving.
- Forms sent to SE by the student will not be approved.
- Income replacement is good through the end of the Spring 2020 semester.
Manager, Student Employment
Get Emergency Updates
Verify that your contact information is up-to-date by checking your user profile in Self-Service.
Prepare for an Emergency
Get preparedness information and resources specific to Westminster College to be ready for an emergency situation.