Mentoring has an undeniable impact on the academic experiences of students. It connects them to the institution and its vision, enhances their relationships with their peers, and builds community. For these reasons, mentoring is a fundamental part of a Westminster education.
The Alumni Mentoring Program is designed to foster the personal and professional growth of Westminster undergraduate students through individual mentorship with qualified alumni mentors and peer group discussions facilitated by Westminster alumni.
Alumni Mentoring Program members will have individual mentoring opportunities between various alumni and students, students will meet/connect with their mentors at least twice per month throughout the academic year, as well as Saturday Sessions with all Alumni Mentoring Program students. These facilitated Saturday Sessions have four aspects: a check-in/update/brainstorming session on everyone’s mentoring relationships, an alumni speaker who discusses the successes and failures in their life, a Q&A session, and a themed activity.
Apply To Be an Alumni Mentoring Program Mentee
A completed application is due May 29, 2020, at 8:00 p.m.
- Firm commitment to meet with a mentor at least once per month, for at least 2 hours
- Resolve to be dedicated to the Alumni Mentoring Program from beginning to end, August–April
- Willingness to initiate contact with your mentor
- Willingness and ability to approach mentoring with an open mind
- Desire to improve yourself both personally and professionally
- Dedication to work toward professional goals with the help of your mentor
What Students Say About the Alumni Mentoring Program
"By participating in the Alumni Mentoring Program, I have been able to step back and better evaluate my life. The Alumni Mentoring Program has helped me discover who I am, what is truly important to me, has helped me prioritize my time to meet my long-term aspirations."
"I learned and gained many things from the Alumni Mentoring Program this year. I think I grew as an individual and became a more confident communicator in group settings. This program has offered me a social outlet that I hadn't had prior to this experience at Westminster. I think that the Alumni Mentoring Program offers individuals the opportunity to prepare for the 'real world' by advancing personally. This will give me the skills and abilities to apply myself in the workplace with a better understanding of my end goals and just how I define success."
"This program sets students up to be successful and assists them in better understanding their goals, strengths, and aspirations. The Alumni Mentoring Program is an opportunity to develop personally while preparing to strive for your professional goals."
- Firm commitment to meet with mentee at least once per month, for at least 2 hours
- Firm commitment to promptly return all emails and phone calls from mentee
- Willingness to develop a strong relationship with the mentee—deeper than surface issues
- Ability to be friends with your mentee
- Willingness to listen to your mentee with an open mind and still be honest with them
- Willingness and ability to spend some of your own money on mentee for things, such as picking up a lunch tab, buying a drink, etc.
- Ability to set goals and implement steps to achieve them with your mentee
- Resolve to be dedicated to the Alumni Mentoring Program from beginning to end
Please email your resume and contact information to the Alumni Relations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being an Alumni Mentoring Program mentor.