School of Arts and Sciences
The Data Science Program at Westminster College
Westminster College gives you the opportunity to complement your major area of study with the Data Science minor. Take your understanding of research and data trends to the next level, combining technology and statistical reasoning to extract knowledge from compiled data.
In an increasingly industrial and automated world, the ability to use data to answer questions and make educated predictions is necessary for a career of consequence. The Data Science minor is designed to help students develop the ability to use data to answer research questions and make professional decisions.
Who the Data Science Program Is For
Students in the Data Science minor want to understand the processes behind data acquisition and analysis. And, if you’re majoring in business, mathematics, sociology, computer science, or another program that involves research, you’ll be able to incorporate your personal interests into your coursework.
- Assemble, analyze, and interpret empirical evidence and communicate outcomes effectively in written and verbal forms
- Analyze economic, social, and business problems and recommend courses of action while recognizing the role of assumptions and the limitations of economic analysis
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the historical, cultural, and institutional foundations of the economy
- Demonstrate an understanding of the policy implication of economic theories
- Demonstrate an appreciation of how the social sciences, history, and philosophy contribute
to an understanding of economics
sample data science courses
- DATA-150: Data and Society
- DATA-220: Introduction to Statistics
- DATA-350: Statistic Modeling
- DATA-360: Data Science with Python
Jingsai Laing, Ph.D
Sean Raleigh, Ph.D
potential data science careers
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data mining engineer
- Data architect
- Machine learning
- Market research analyst
data science program plan of study
In addition to core classes that explore data science, you will choose an emphasis in statistics, computer science, or mathematics. This will allow you to further tailor your minor and help you develop a capstone project related to your personal interests.
What Are the Key Benefits of the Data Science Program?
- Small class sizes that facilitate the group discussions
- The personal attention you need when learning statistical programming language
- Access to RStudio, an integrated development environment
- Interdisciplinary classes where you will question both the technological and social implications of data science
- Multiple areas of emphasis to further customize your minor