A Music Camp for Talented High School Singers and Pianists
Thanks to the generous sponsorship of the Florence J. Gillmor Foundation, 25 high school-age singers and 10 pianists will receive a full scholarship for a week-long immersion in the art of singing and piano performance. The scholarship covers all tuition, fees, food (lunch and snacks provided every day), water bottles, and the camp t-shirt. Activities include private lessons and coachings, master classes, workshops, daily yoga and acting classes, rehearsals, optional evening activities, and a final showcase recital.
Students will have the option to stay overnight on campus during the camp for a fee of $275, which covers room and board. Residential students will have a camp counselor assigned to them 24/7 during the camp. If you are interested in the residential camp option, please make note of that on your application.
Also, rising high school juniors and seniors who participate in all lessons, classes and activities of SummerSong will receive a Westminster College transcript for 2 college elective music credits, transferable to any college or university.
In order to be eligible to apply for Westminster SummerSong, you must
- Be a singer or pianist 15–18 years old
- Be interested in music study in college
- Demonstrate talent, musicianship and creativity
- Be willing to work hard, learn and collaborate with colleagues
- Love to sing, play and perform
- Prof. Michael Chipman, Camp Director and Voice (baritone)
- Dr. Kimi Kawashima, Associate Camp Director and Piano Faculty
- Dr. Chris Quinn, SummerSong Chorus, Director of Music at Westminster
- Dr. Karlyn Bond, Piano Faculty
- Jared Larkin, Acting
- Aubrey Adams-McMillan, Voice (mezzo-soprano)
- Isaac Hurtado, Voice (tenor)
- Cheryl Hart, Voice (soprano)
- Shana Osterloh, Voice (soprano)
- Emily Willams, Vocal Coach
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be a Salt Lake City resident to apply?
No, but if you do the residential option, you will pay a $275 fee, which covers room and board, and you will be responsible for airfare and transportation to Westminster College before and after the camp.
On my MP3 or YouTube video, do I need to submit whole songs or just a few bars?
We would like to hear the song in its entirety.
If I am accepted, will I need to learn any music before the camp?
Yes, once accepted you will be sent a few selections of music to memorize before you arrive at camp.
Do I get to choose my voice teacher?
No, everyone at the camp will have a chance to work with all of Westminster's voice, choral and acting faculty. If you have a specific teacher request, please email Prof. Michael Chipman with that request.
What do I need to bring with me to the camp every day?
Just a water bottle, a good attitude and be ready to work hard and have fun.
Do I need to bring extra money with me to the camp?
No, all expenses are covered by the camp scholarship.
For more information, call Dr. Kimi Kawashima at 801.832.2379 or contact Professor Michael Chipman at email@example.com.