Legacy Scholars Program
The Legacy Scholars program is designed to help first-generation and traditionally underrepresented students get the most out of their college experience. As a student in the program, you’ll get extra help adjusting to college life from professors and staff who really care about your success. Throughout your four years at Westminster, you’ll have access to academic support through tutors, study groups, and special research projects. And your mentors will give you guidance along the way, helping you find learning opportunities outside of the classroom, from presenting at or attending academic conferences to participating in outdoor trips.
What You Get
- $500 each semester to spend on books for your classes
- Six academic credits that count toward graduation
- One-on-one mentoring from professors who care about your success both in college and in life
- Help preparing for graduate school or whatever else you want to pursue after graduation
- Support from a network of friends who you'll meet before classes begin
- A week-long, college-prep camping trip in southern Utah
Legacy Summer Bridge Program
The summer bridge is a week-long program where you’ll learn how to navigate college and practice strategies for academic success. You’ll get to know your future classmates and learn the value of having a group of friends to turn to for support. The best part? This all happens while you’re camping, hiking, and river rafting in southern Utah.
How to Apply
- Be a first-generation college student (neither of your parents received a bachelor's degree from an institution in the United States).
- Meet one of the following demographics: traditionally underrepresented (African American, Black, Hispanic, Latinx, Chicanx, Asian American, Native American, Pacific Islander); student with disabilities; or low-income.
- Be able to attend the Legacy Summer Bridge program from August 10–17, 2018.
To apply, admitted students must complete the form below and include the pre-college questionnaire, a typed essay, and a letter of recommendation. The letter can be from a high school contact who can speak to your academic strengths and needs. You do not need to send any other information with this application; Legacy will access your Westminster College admissions file (complete with transcripts, other letters of recommendation, and test scores). You must submit a complete application and students must be admitted to Westminster College as incoming students before their application to the Legacy Scholars Program will be reviewed. If students have questions about your admissions status at Westminster College, please contact the Admissions Office at 801.832.2200.
We will begin reviewing applications on March 15. The application will be open until July 15, or until all spots are filled.
Legacy Scholars Program Application
This field is required
Please title each document accordingly.