Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Take a look at our Facebook post on How to Get the Most Out of Outdoor Experience . “Like us” while you’re at it so that you can stay in the loop about what’s happening in the Outdoor Program.
- Outdoor Experience officially starts at 9am on Monday, August 14th. Please meet us in the Special Events Room of the Eccles Health, Wellness, and Athletic Center with all of your trip gear packed and ready to go. Backpackers and Packrafters will do a little re-packing and everyone who is borrowing gear from the program will get what they need at this time. We’ll start the morning off with a light breakfast (provided for you) and an orientation to the trips. All trips will leave campus around noon.
- You can check into your residence hall from 5pm – 7pm on Sunday August 13th. You must come to the Eccles Health, Wellness, and Athletic Center (HWAC) Reception Desk to get your ID card and check in before going to your residence hall. You’re welcome to stay the night in your room get settled as much as you like, but you can only check in from 5pm – 7pm. There is no programming for that evening, so you’re on your own Sunday before and after you check in. We’ll give you some ideas of things to do in the area and point you in the right direction.There will be no residence hall check-in for the Outdoor Experience on Monday, August 14th. Students arriving after 7pm on Sunday August 13th can check into their residence hall upon returning from the trip.
- We can store baggage for students arriving on the morning of the 14h until they can check in to their residence hall upon returning from the trip.
- For students traveling by air, the Outdoor Program will provide shuttles periodically throughout the day on Sunday, August 13th - Contact us if you are interested in a shuttle at OutdoorProgram@WestminsterCollege.edu
- It would be best to plan your travels to arrive in the afternoon (versus morning) as there is no organized activity for students on Sunday, August 13th.
- Students will return from the Multi-Sport Adventure and Utah Sampler on Thursday, August 17th in the afternoon. Students will return from the Alpine Backpacking and Packrafting Expeditions on Friday, August 18th in the afternoon.
- The only trips that can accommodate Honors and International students are the Multi-Sport Adventure and the Utah Sampler - they return in time for those respective orientations.
- Westminster College New Student Orientation begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, August 19th. The Outdoor Experience Program will officially end when trips have returned, checked in gear, debriefed with program directors, and picked up T-shirts!
- Many of our trips are student-led. There will not necessarily be professional staff or faculty on each trip. We're proud of our student leaders who are experienced and trained in leading trips for the Outdoor Program.
- There will be times throughout the week when students are "on their own" with no direct supervision. These include Sunday, August 13th and the evenings of August 14-18th as well as certain times on the trip when students are at camp, in tents in the evening, etc.
- If you must cancel: before the registration deadline (July 10th) you can receive a refund in full. If you cancel after July 10th but before July 24th: you will be refunded 50% of the trip cost and the 50% that we keep may be applied as credit toward future trips. After July 24th, no refunds will be given but 50% of the trip fee can be applied to future trips.
- If a participant needs to leave the trip for a policy violation either on or off campus, that participant is responsible for the cost of evacuation. If a participant needs to be evacuated for other reasons, responsibility for the cost of evacuation will be assigned on a case-by-case basis.
Airport Shuttle Information
You must tell us if you need a shuttle and send us your flight number and arrival time. Take a look at the shuttle pickup schedule below. The Salt Lake City airport is relatively small and easy to navigate. We will be in a Westminster Van and will be at Passenger Pickup #4 at the specified time. To get to the Passenger Pickup Lane, exit the airport after baggage claim, walk outside across to the farthest lane before the parking garage - this is the Passenger Pickup Lane – it’s labeled and you will see large numbers overhead – you want #4.
If your flight arrives between 9:30am and 10:30am, we'll pick you up at 10:45am
If your flight arrives between 10:30am and 11:30am, we'll pick you up at 11:45am
If your flight arrives between 11:30am and 12:30pm, we'll pick you up at 12:45pm
If your flight arrives between 12:30pm and 1:30pm, we'll pick you up at 1:45pm
If your flight arrives between 1:30pm and 2:30pm, we'll pick you up at 2:45pm
If your flight arrives between 2:30pm and 3:30pm, we'll pick you up at 3:45pm
If your flight arrives between 3:30pm and 4:30pm, we'll pick you up at 4:45pm
If your flight arrives between 4:30pm and 5:30pm, we'll pick you up at 5:45pm
If your flight arrives between 5:30pm and 6:30pm, we'll pick you up at 6:45pm
DON'T WORRY - WE WON'T LEAVE YOU! If your flight is delayed, no worries - you'll just catch the next shuttle. If at all possible, please call us at 801.832.2866 to let us know about delays. If we don't hear from you, we will wait to see you at Passenger Pickup #4. If it takes you a few extra minutes to get your bag, that's ok - we'll wait for ~15 mins after the pickup time if we don't see you.