Master of Accountancy
Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business
3 Semesters (12 months)
The Master of Accountancy Program at Westminster College
The Master of Accountancy program prepares students for a successful, professional career in accounting and, additionally, for the CPA Exam. The program positions students for the fast track to leadership roles in either public accounting or corporate environments.
Who the Master of Accountancy Program Is For
The Master of Accountancy program is designed as a fifth-year, full-time evening program to satisfy the requirements for CPA licensure. We encourage our students to hold daytime jobs in accounting and will offer assistance in locating students in local CPA firms. Students who follow our program should be fully licensed as CPAs within 12 months of finishing their undergraduate accounting degree.
- Demonstrate mastery of accounting fundamentals and professional standards within the core accounting areas—financial accounting, managerial/cost accounting, tax, and audit
- Analyze and evaluate ethical situations that might arise in a professional environment
- Communicate effectively in writing, orally, and interpersonally
- Analyze complete financial problems, make reasonable assumptions, and develop and
support appropriate solutions
What Are the Benefits of the Master of Accountancy Degree Program?
- The classes are structured to be completed in five 7-week blocks spread over 45 weeks
- Students come to campus 2 to 3 nights per week
- Westminster believes in a hands-on learning approach. Small class sizes (average 20-25) allows an internal control audit; visiting governmental and business offices; and interacting with visiting professionals
- MAcc students have the opportunity to attend classes and activities with Westminster MBA students including Master Track, Power Lunches, Delta Mu Delta, Opportunity Quest, International Context Tour, and Lectures in Entrepreneurship
- Students are encouraged to sit for and pass one section of the CPA Exam at the conclusion of each block. Our MAcc courses integrate CPA Exam simulations with textbook material, experiential learning, and research projects
- In addition to mastering accounting skills, our students focus on developing written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Each of our students has the opportunity to watch and evaluate their performance in communication exercises
*The pass rate for students taking the CPA Exam directly following a block of classes is above 90%.
- MACC-603: Financial Accounting Research
- MACC-620: Accounting Ethics
- MACC-611: Advanced Federal Taxation
- MACC-650: Corporate Governance
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Fall 2022 Entry: July 29, 2022
Spring 2023 Entry: Nov. 9, 2022
Summer 2023 Entry: March 27, 2023
Fall 2023 Entry: July 10, 2023
Entry Terms: Fall, Spring, or summer
Chelsea Dye, Ph.D
average class size
August, January, and May. New classes start every 7 weeks.
The Master of Accountancy program is designed as a 1-year, full-time evening program.
"The thing that impacted me most from my experience at Westminster was the collaborative nature of the classes. I was in a small class, so we worked and learned together instead of listening to the professor lecture. I feel like this better prepared me for teamwork in the workplace and helped me develop a professional relationship with my peers, which I have maintained after graduation."
Dave Wilde (’10)
Correctional program administrator
Accelerated Programs and Partnerships
Several undergraduate programs at Westminster feature an accelerated track or partnership that allows our graduates to earn a graduate degree as quickly as possible.
The program requires 30 credits for those students who have completed a bachelor's degree in accounting. Students without an accounting degree must complete all of the courses required for an undergraduate degree in accounting. It is expected that these students will complete the program in one calendar year. Admitted students will be officially informed which, if any, prerequisite classes are required at the time of admission.
Admission to the program is possible during Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. The expected credit load per semester is 12 credits in Fall, 12 credits in Spring, and 6 credits in the Summer.
Master of Accountancy Licensing
Graduates generally pursue a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license after completing the CPA Exam. Licensing requirements vary by state. To become licensed as a CPA in Utah, students must apply with the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. Westminster has not determined whether it meets the educational requirements for licensure in all other states within the United States, including U.S. territories. Students will need to inquire with additional states for information.
Tuition and Fees
The price model of the Master of Accountancy program ensures that you know the full price of the program at the beginning. All-inclusive pricing is fixed for 5 years once enrolled, as long as you stay active in the program. This includes all course materials.
Westminster works with all students to determine the financial aid opportunities available to them. Federal financial aid is available and will be awarded on an individual basis to students who have filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some federal financial aid programs require students to maintain the equivalent of full- or part-time enrollment. Westminster also offers scholarships for graduate students.
Students who completed an undergraduate degree at Westminster are eligible to receive the Westminster Alumni Scholarship. Master of Accountancy program students are also eligible for the Grant Thornton/Westminster Tax Institute Scholarship (fall only).
Graduate students are eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Direct (grad) PLUS loans through the U.S. Department of Education’s federal student loan program.
Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study is a federally funded program that provides job opportunities for students to earn money to help pay for college. Westminster employs hundreds of students each year in different areas.