The CACREP-accredited Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program prepares students using the fundamentals of counseling theory and practice in an experiential and interpersonal learning environment. Our aim is to train professional counselors with a sound foundation in ethical behavior, counseling theories, contemporary research, and professional skills, creating a knowledge base and capacity for thinking that can be translated into effective counseling practice with individuals, families, and groups from diverse backgrounds. We strive to guide our students to become more self-aware and self-reflective as they hone their intellectual, interpersonal, and counseling skills. We encourage critical thinking, emphasize professional integrity, and foster a commitment to mental health advocacy as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Students will understand counselor professional identity and demonstrate skill in applying ethical and legal considerations in professional counseling.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the awareness, knowledge, and skills to counsel clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Students will be able to apply theories of human development to clients’ needs and issues.
- Students will have knowledge of career assessment and planning principles and theories.
- Students will demonstrate skills necessary to be an effective counselor while applying a theoretical approach.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge and skills to facilitate psychoeducational and process groups.
- Students will be able to select and interpret assessment measures (i.e., academic/educational, career, personality, diagnostic, and developmental).
- Students will be able to critically evaluate research in a manner that informs counseling practice.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose and design treatment plans for a broad range of mental health issues.
- Students will engage in critical thinking and demonstrate a heightened self-awareness in the counseling role.
Annual Reports and Program Data