Vehicle Use and Operation Policies and Procedures

Vehicle Reservation Calendar

Check the availability of campus vehicles.

2018 Vehicle Reservation Calendar

2019 Vehicle Reservation Calendar

2020 Vehicle Reservation Calendar

Vehicle Policies and Procedures

Request a Vehicle

I have checked the Vehicle Reservation Calendar and...
Vehicle Type (required)

If different from certified driver, please list the associated Faculty/Staff

E.g. academic course, recreational trip, service learning, etc.


Confirmed reservations should be on the Westminster Vehicle Reservation Calendar within 1 week of request.

Please check the Westminster Vehicle Reservation Calendar after 1 week of requesting and notify Holly Patterson—the Motor Vehicle Coordinator (, 801.832.2515)—immediately if your reservation is inaccurate.

If your request cannot be accommodated, you will be placed on a waitlist for the vehicle(s) requested.;

The Motor Vehicle Coordinator will contact you within 1 week of your request if vehicles are not available for the date/time requested so that you can make other arrangements.

Definitions and Parameters

  • A "Vehicle", as used in this policy, is any College-owned, leased, or rented motor vehicle used for College business. Where applicable, Vehicle can also mean a personal vehicle of a Certified Driver that meets the College's requirements for privately-owned vehicles used for College business.
  • College-owned, leased, or rented motor vehicles are to be used exclusively for College- related business.
  • College-owned, leased, chartered, or rented motor vehicles or a personal vehicle of a Certified Driver that meets the College's requirements for privately-owned vehicles are the only acceptable Vehicles for College business purposes.
  • Additional Policies and Procedures not covered in this document apply to pulling trailers with College vehicles and/or for College business. Contact the Motor Vehicle Coordinator for more information.

Certified Drivers

Only Certified Drivers (CDs) are authorized to operate College-owned vehicles or to transport students for College purposes in College-owned, leased, or rental vehicles or in personal vehicles that meet the College's requirements for privately-owned vehicles used for College business.

Qualifications for Becoming a Certified Driver. Certified Drivers:

  • Can be faculty, staff, student, alumni, volunteer, or community member.
  • Must be recommended by an associated faculty or staff if they are a student, alumni, volunteer, or community member (on Driver Information and Acknowledge of Policies & Procedures Form).
  • Are nineteen (19) years of age or older.
  • Have at least three (3) years of licensed driving experience and can produce records of proof driving history.
  • Have no convictions for driving under the influence, negligent driving, vehicular manslaughter or any other criminal offenses related to operating a motor vehicle.

The College has the right to certify a driver, deny a certification of a driver, or grant a Conditional Certification. A Conditional Certification will be reviewed thirty (30) days after it is granted at which time a decision will be made to either authorize or deny the certification of a driver. This decision will take into account whether the individual has met the terms of the Conditional Certification.

Becoming a Certified Driver

Becoming a CD depends on the completion of the following steps and approval by Risk Management (RM) and the Motor Vehicle Coordinator (MVC):

  • Obtain and submit a copy of your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) to the MVC.
    • This will come from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the state that issued your driver's license.
    • Each state has a different process that can take anywhere from 2 minutes (online) to 2 weeks (snail mail). If you obtain your MVR yourself, you will be reimbursed up to ten (10) dollars for the fees.
    • Contact the Motor Vehicle Coordinator if you would like assistance obtaining your MVR if you have a Utah driver's license.
    • The information on the MVR must be approved by the MVC and RM before certification.
    • CDs must submit this annually to stay current - it is the CDs responsibility to ensure the MVR is submitted to the Motor Vehicle Coordinator annually.
  • Obtain and submit a Driver's License copy to the MVC.
    • CDs must submit updated copies as license is renewed or changed.
    • CDs must maintain a valid driver's license to remain certified.
  • Complete the Driver Training and submit completed test certificate to the MVC.
    • Obtain a copy of the DVD from the Motor Vehicle Coordinator.
    • Watch the DVD, take the test, print your certificate.
    • If the CD will be operating 10+ passenger vans and has never driven a vehicle of that capacity, the College recommends the CD practice before transporting passengers.
  • Complete the Westminster College Driver Information & Acknowledgement of Policies & Procedures Form and submit to the MVC.
  • If driving a personal (privately-owned) Vehicle for College business, the driver must also submit proof of their personal automobile insurance coverage to the MVC and it must meet the limits specified in this policy.

High Risk Drivers

In the event a CD becomes a “High Risk Driver” as determined by the College, the College may suspend or terminate the CD's authorization to be a CD. A High Risk Driver is a person who has committed one or more of the following violations:

  • Conviction for any alcohol and/or drug related driving offenses.
  • Refusal to submit to a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) test.
  • Conviction for reckless driving.
  • Suspension, revocation or administrative restriction within the last three (3) years.
  • Leaving the scene of an accident as defined by the state law where the accident occurred.
  • At fault in a fatal accident.
  • Felony committed involving a vehicle.
  • Two or more physical damage claims to College Vehicles in any twelve- month period.
  • Any combination of two of the following violations within a year or three of the following violations within three years: Moving violations, At Fault Accidents, and/or Preventable Accidents.

Reserving and Using College-Owned Vehicles

Using a College vehicle for trips is the preferred option by the College. If College vehicles aren't available, see options below for rental and privately-owned vehicles.

  • Only Westminster College faculty and staff may reserve vehicles.

  • While students, alumni, volunteers, and community members may become CDs and drive vehicles, they must be reserved by the associated faculty or staff.

  • Westminster College provides insurance for all College-owned Vehicles, however, there is no insurance coverage for theft of personal items from the vehicle.

  • If plans for Vehicle use change, the associated faculty/staff must call the Motor Vehicle Coordinator and cancel or change the reservation.

  • There may be a fifteen (15) dollar charge if a College vehicle is reserved and the vehicle is not picked up. Any cancellation of the reservation that is not made within twenty-four (24) hours will be assessed the fifteen (15) dollar charge.

  • The Motor Vehicle Coordinator will review the requests and determine appropriateness of use and availability of Vehicles. While an effort will be made to meet each request, the Motor Vehicle Coordinator has the discretion to deny any request based on conflicts with other requests, the purpose of the request, safety concerns, funding, or prior disregard for Vehicle use and operation policies.

  • Requests for Vehicles for academic courses will be given priority. For non-academic requests, only one (1) College vehicle can be reserved at a time for the same event. If multiple vehicles for the same event are being reserved at the same time and there is availability, one vehicle will be reserved and the others will be placed on a waiting list and the best effort will be made to accommodate the multiple vehicles.

  • Once a request has been approved, the associated faculty/staff and CD must adhere to all the terms and conditions of this Policy.

  • To request a vehicle reservation, complete the online Vehicle Request Form.

Reserving and Using Rental Vehicles

If College vehicles are not available for a trip, renting a vehicle from Enterprise or National car rental is an option.

  • Westminster has a corporate arrangement with Enterprise Rental Cars.
  • In order to rent a vehicle with Enterprise, Westminster personnel should utilize the appropriate Contract ID code, or account number. This can be obtained from the MVC.
  • Supplemental Liability Protection (covers all other vehicles, poles, buildings, etc.) separately, as is it is not included in the reservation rate.
  • The employees at the 843 State Street Enterprise location (801.534.1622) are very familiar with Westminster's contract and account.
  • Westminster also has an agreement with Enterprise/National to allow CDs under the age of 21 to drive rental vehicles. Enterprise/National car rental company, however, will not insure CDs who are under 21 years of age. Each associated department assumes the responsibility of the $5000 deductible if there is an incident/accident and the CD is under 21 years of age.
  • For ALL rental companies that are not Enterprise Rental, the department should budget for and procure insurance in addition to the rental rate. The coverage should be full collision/damage, as well as supplemental liability coverage reflecting the amounts of $100,000; $300,000, and $50,000.

Use of Personal (Privately-Owned) Vehicles

A personal motor vehicle may be used for College business when it is the most appropriate transportation mode, such as for local trips or if College vehicles are not available and rental vehicles are not an option.

  • Frequent use of personal vehicles for business is discouraged since no reimbursement will be made for accident-related repairs, whether these costs result from your own acts or acts of others.
  • Even in the case that a personal vehicle is being used for College business, it must be operated by a CD.
  • If a CD drives his or her personal vehicle on College business, CD's must, at all times, maintain personal automobile insurance (not reimbursable) at limits of at least $100,000 per occurrence / $300,000 aggregate. Insurance levels are set at such a level to protect drivers, passengers, and involved vehicles from the financial consequences of an accident.
  • The CD's insurance will be the primary insurer, with the College as the secondary. College insurance will start only after the personal insurance has reached its limit.
  • Copies of personal automobile insurance must be submitted to the Motor Vehicle Coordinator on the Driver Information and Acknowledgement of Policies & Procedures Form. Copies of personal automobile insurance will be housed and maintained in the Risk Management Office.
  • The CD should also have their own collision and comprehensive insurance coverage in the amount equal to the value of their vehicle.

Extended Trips

If the trip will require an overnight stay or more than six hours of driving to reach the destination, the following requirements apply:

  • Two (2) CD's for each Vehicle.
  • No driving by the same CD for more than four (4) hours at a time without taking a break.
  • No more than six (6) hours of driving by the same CD in a fourteen-hour period.
  • When taking breaks, it is recommended that a CD conduct a walk-around inspection of the Vehicle, noting anything that may have changed since the initial Vehicle inspection was conducted.

Responsibilities of Certified Drivers

  • The Vehicle shall be operated according to College regulations and applicable federal, state, and local, and traffic laws. CDs must commit to driving safely at all times.
  • The CD assumes full responsibility for any and all fines or traffic violations associated with his or her operation of a College-owned vehicle.
  • CDs must inform the Motor Vehicle Coordinator of any moving vehicle violations or traffic accidents that occurred while they were driving a Vehicle or driving on College-related business. Depending upon the facts of each situation, a CD may be temporarily suspended or permanently barred from operating a Vehicle.
  • In regards to the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, or any sort of substance that could cause physical impairment, the College adheres to a Zero Tolerance Policy:
    • The College prohibits employees from operating any College vehicle or equipment while under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substances. Employees using prescribed or over-the-counter medication are prohibited from operating College vehicles or equipment at any time when their ability to do so might be impaired by the medication. The College reserves the right to require testing of employees operating any College vehicle or equipment for alcohol (including medications containing alcohol) or illegal or controlled substances, on the basis of reasonable suspicion.
    • No alcoholic beverages of any kind are allowed in the Vehicles.
    • No illegal drugs are allowed in the Vehicles at any time.
    • No tobacco products (smoking, snuff, chewing tobacco) are allowed to be used in the Vehicles at any time. This provision does not prohibit the transportation of tobacco products while in the vehicle.
  • The transportation of unauthorized passengers (i.e., hitchhikers) is prohibited.
  • CDs may not allow anyone who is not a Certified Driver to operate a College Vehicle, including a spouse, family member, or friend.
    • The only exception to this provision is an emergency situation in which failure to allow a person who is not a CD to drive would create an unsafe situation. For instance, a CD is on a long trip and becomes ill or sleepy but is unable to immediately stop for rest. Allowing a properly licensed passenger to drive is clearly the best alternative.
  • CDs may not drive College Vehicles or vehicles rented for College purposes for unauthorized personal use.
  • CDs must be in possession of a valid driver's license at all times.
  • It is the CD's responsibility to keep track of College-owned vehicle keys.
  • The replacement fee for lost College-owned vehicle keys is fifty (50) dollars. Losses of rental vehicle keys are subject to rental company lost key fees.

Before Driving the Vehicle

  • CDs must inspect the Vehicle prior to driving the Vehicle and note anything that is of concern or that may make driving the Vehicle unsafe. Any findings for College-owned vehicles must be reported to the Motor Vehicle Coordinator immediately.
  • The CD must ensure that tires, headlights, turn signals, taillights, and windshield wipers are clean and operational.
  • If driving a College-owned vehicle, the CD must also ensure that the vehicle is equipped with and emergency kit (containing reflectors, first aid kit, and other emergency supplies - maintained by the Motor Vehicle Coordinator)
  • CDs should never drive a Vehicle when it has been determined unsafe to drive or upon the Motor Vehicle Coordinator's request.
  • All efforts will be made by the MVC to find a satisfactory alternative Vehicle in a timely manner if the original vehicle reserved is not operational.

During The Trip

  • Ensure that the driver and passenger(s) wear seat belts at all times in all Vehicles. If the vehicle to be driven by the CD does not have seat belts, it may not be used for College business.
  • CDs should designate the front seat passenger as the navigator/driver assistant to assist the driver by reading maps, caring for passenger needs, dealing with the radio, cell phones, etc.
  • Emergency Kits cannot be removed from the vehicle.
  • Any cell phone use and/or texting by the CD when the vehicle is in motion is prohibited. Have a passenger help or pull over in a safe place. It is also against Utah State Law.
  • Firearms may not be transported in either College-owned or rented vehicles or in private vehicles being used for Westminster College business. Violation of this provision may lead to a revocation of authority as a Certified Driver or revoking your ability to use your private vehicle for College business, as well as discipline for failure to adhere to College policy, up to and including termination from employment. While rare, if there is a reason why a firearm must be transported in a College-owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle being used for College purposes, please consult with Risk Management prior to transporting the firearm.
  • The Vehicles are not to be taken any other place than the originally scheduled destination.
  • College vehicles and rentals should not be used to push or tow other vehicles.
  • When the Vehicle is left unattended, the vehicle ignition must be off, and the vehicle must be locked.
  • Place all luggage, equipment, etc. within the vehicle, making certain that no items are above seat level. No storage of any items is allowed, for any reason, on the roof of the Vehicle.
  • Vehicles are not to be driven off established roads. This presents too great a danger to passengers and risks major damage to the vehicles. Maintained dirt roads can be considered “established.”
  • Animals are not allowed in College-owned vehicles. The only exception to this provision is when a CD or passenger has an approved Service Animal as an ADA accommodation. Any service animal being transported in College vehicle must be approved by the ADA/504 Coordinator and Risk Management. When there is to be a service animal in the vehicle, notification must be made to the Motor Vehicle Coordinator prior to the trip. Under no circumstances does the College assume responsibility for an animal during the trip.
  • Children, including children of faculty and staff are not allowed in Vehicles, unless (1) the child is traveling as a participant in a College-sponsored activity or (2) the parent has received prior approval from his or her supervisor and the Director of Risk Management/General Counsel. In either case, a Consent for Minor Riders Form must be submitted to the MVC for each passenger under the age of eighteen (18.)

At The End of the Trip

  • Always return College-owned vehicles to the marked parking spot behind the library.
  • College-owned vehicles ARE NOT to be left anywhere other than the designated parking spots on campus overnight, unless on an overnight trip. If the designated spot has an illegally parked car in it, notify Campus Patrol, detailing where you had to park the Vehicle. College-owned Vehicles should never be taken home and parked overnight.
  • Remove garbage from the Vehicle prior to returning it. There will be a twenty-five (25) dollar fine assessed if College-owned vehicles are returned dirty or unfit for the next reservation.
  • For College-owned vehicles, return the keys, gas credit cards and receipts to the MVC upon your return. Do not keep the keys. If the Vehicle is returned on a weekend or late at night, return the keys, etc. to Campus Patrol (801.832.2525) upon your return.
  • Return College-owned vehicles with at least 3–4 of a tank of gas. There will be a twenty-five (25) dollar fine assessed if vehicles are returned with less than 3–4 of a tank of gas.

Gasoline Card Use

  • Westminster gas credit cards are for the purchase of gasoline and car washes only. Any other purchases will be charged to the respective department. Unauthorized non-fuel purchases may be the reason a CD may have their certification revoked.
  • Westminster gas credit cards are not to be used for personal vehicles but may be used for rental vehicles rented for College business. If a faculty/staff member is using his or her personal vehicle, a mileage reimbursement should be used.
  • If a gas card is lost, the associated department's budget will be charged a replacement fee.
  • Gas will be charged to associated department's travel code (5500) or to the grant code—if the gas is purchased in part of a grant activity.

Traffic Accidents and Auto Emergencies

  • In the event of an auto emergency, please contact Risk Management at 801-832-2657 during business hours or Campus Patrol after hours at 801.832.2525.
  • Emergency repair work to College vehicles should be performed by trained, authorized mechanics.
  • College-owned vehicles contain an emergency kit equipped with a triangular reflector and a first aid kit. This should be verified by the CD on the initial pre-trip inspection.
  • Each College-owned Vehicle has also been equipped with a disposable camera (located in the emergency box) for use at an accident scene.
  • A laminated copy of instructions to follow at the scene of an accident is located in the glove box of each College-owned Vehicle along with a form to be used for gathering all pertinent accident scene information.
  • In case of an accident, CDs should follow these guidelines:
    • If injury is involved, get immediate medical aid. Report injuries you sustain to your supervisor and Risk Management.
    • Keep calm and do not argue with other persons involved in the accident. Your arguing may result in unnecessary legal action.
    • Never make any statements concerning fault or guilt. Never agree to make payments for the accident.
    • Notify police. In order to collect on insurance coverage a police report may be necessary.
    • Discuss the accident only with police officers, the College's insurance representatives, or Westminster officials. Refer all questions from lawyers, other involved parties, and others to the General Counsel.
    • Take down as much information as you can on all other parties to the accident (e.g., insurance company, driver's name, license number, plate number, make of car, model of car, year, how accident happened, witnesses, addresses, phone numbers, etc.).
  • If you are out of town on business, telephone a report to both your supervisor and Risk Management.

Failure to Comply

In the event a CD fails to comply with any of the Westminster College Vehicle Use and Operation policies and procedures outlined here, the College may take any or all of the following actions:

  • Suspend for a period of time all use and/or operating privileges.
  • Terminate permanently all use and/or operating privileges.
  • Charge for the cost of labor incurred by the College to clean, fill the tank or repair the Vehicle.
  • Any exceptions to this policy and these procedures must be reviewed and approved by both the Motor Vehicle Coordinator and Risk Management.

Contact Information

For Questions About Reserving and Using Vehicles

Contact the Motor Vehicle Coordinator in Plant Operations

Holly Patterson: 801.832.2515

For Questions About the Vehicle Policy, Procedures, and Insurance

Contact Risk Management/General Counsel

Dianna Jorgensen: 801.832.2657