A private comprehensive liberal arts college in Salt Lake City, UT, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in liberal arts and professional programs. Website
College Vehicle Use Procedures

To use a college vehicle please contact Holly Patterson in Plant Operations  at (801) 832-2515, Bamberger Hall room 105.  

College Vehicle Use and Operation Policies 


  • College-owned, leased, or rented motor vehicles (“vehicles”) are to be used for College-related business only.
  • Family member or spousal use of College-owned vehicles is prohibited. Using College vans as personal moving vans is also prohibited.
  • Animals are not allowed in College-owned vehicles. Faculty and staff’s children are not allowed in vans.
  • College-owned vehicles ARE NOT to be driven off road. This presents too great a danger to students/occupants and risks major damage to the vehicles.
  • Plant Operations can make reservations with an outside rental agency if a rented vehicle is required. Plant Operations reserves the right to deny any request that is deemed unnecessary.
  • Any certified faculty or staff member may request the use of a vehicle by contacting the Department of Plant Operations by phone (801-832-2515) or e-mail. Requests for vans are honored on a first-come-first-serve basis, with Academics taking priority. If your plans for van use change, you MUST call Plant Operations and cancel/change your reservation.
  • The request must designate the purpose of the trip, the length of the trip, a list of all those riding in the vehicle, and a detailed itinerary with the names and cell phone numbers of the person(s) requesting a vehicle. Vehicle check outs are for individual trips only; the vans are not to be taken any other place than the originally scheduled destination. If you require a van to shuttle people to or from the airport, you MUST take an authorized driver with you to return the van to the campus. You must also arrange for an authorized driver to pick you up from the airport. Vans ARE NOT to be left in the airport parking lot.
  • The Motor Pool Coordinator will review the requests and determine appropriateness of use and availability of vehicles. While an effort will be made to meet each request, the Motor Pool Coordinator has discretion to deny any request based on conflicts with other requests, the purpose of the request, safety concerns, funding or prior disregard for vehicle use and operation policies (i.e., leaving trash, leaving with less than 3/4 tank of gas).
  • Requests for Vehicles for academic or service learning purposes will be given priority.    

Once a Request has been approved, the person who made the request has the following responsibilities:

  • Sign for the vehicle, gasoline credit card and keys at the office of Plant Operations. Keys will not be given to anyone other than the person who has requested the vehicle. Gas credit cards are for the purchase of gasoline only. Non-fuel purchases will be charged to your respective department. Gas credit cards are not to be used for private vehicles. If you lose a gas card or vehicle key, you will be charged a replacement fee. Gas will be charged to your department travel code (5500) for all trips out of the valley, out of the state and all overnight trips.
  • You will receive an orange pre-trip inspection cards. Complete this card prior to driving the vehicle. Note anything that is of concern or that may make driving the vehicle unsafe. You should NEVER take a vehicle that you feel is unsafe to drive. Report any unsafe condition to the Motor Pool Coordinator immediately. All efforts will be made to find a safe and satisfactory vehicle for your use.
  • Care for the vehicle properly and remove garbage from the vehicle prior to returning it.
  • Return the vehicle to the marked parking spot behind the library (or Foster lot for the mini vans) along with the keys, pre-trip inspection card, gas credit cards and receipts to Plant Operations upon your return. Do not keep the keys. If the vehicle is returned on a weekend or late at night, return the keys, etc. to Campus Patrol (801-832-2525) upon your return. College vehicles should never be parked anywhere but the designated spot. If the designated spot has an illegally parked car in it, notify Plant Operations and/or Campus Patrol, detailing where you had to park the vehicle. College vehicles should never be taken home and parked overnight.
  • Return the vehicle with at least ¾ of a tank of gas.
  • Make certain that no one other than a Certified Driver operates the vehicle .
  • Ensure that all drivers and passengers wear seat belts at all times.
  • Place all luggage, equipment, etc. within the vehicle, making certain that no items are above seat level. No storage of any items is allowed on the roof of the vehicle.

If the trip will require an overnight stay or more than six hours of driving to reach the destination, the following requirements apply:

  • Two Certified Drivers for each vehicle.

    No driving by the same driver for more than three hours at a time without taking a break and no more than six hours of driving by the same driver in a fourteen-hour period. When taking these breaks, it is recommended that you conduct a walk-around inspection of the vehicle, noting anything that may have changed since your initial vehicle inspection was conducted. 
  • The front seat passenger shall be designated as the Navigator/Driver Assistant to assist the driver by reading maps, caring for passenger needs, dealing with the radio, cell phones, etc. Cell phone use and/or texting by the driver when the vehicle is in motion is prohibited.

In the event a faculty or staff member fails to comply with these policies, the College may take any or all of the following actions:  

  • Suspend, for a period of time, all use and/or operating privileges.
  • Terminate permanently all use and/or operating privileges.
  • Charge for the cost in labor incurred by the College to clean, fill the tank or repair the vehicle.


Any vehicle for which the College is responsible must be operated at all times only by a Certified Driver. A Certified Driver is a faculty member, staff member, or student twenty-one years of age or older (“Applicant”) who has been authorized by the College to operate its vehicles. 

To become a Certified Driver, a faculty member, staff member or student (“Applicant”) must apply as follows:  

  • Complete a Request for MVR form and have a minimum of 6 years driving experience. An updated MVR will be requested annually by Plant Operations. 
  • Present a valid and current Driver’s License. When your Driver’s License expires, please make sure you provide Plant Operations with an updated photocopy.
  • Either personally obtain a current Motor Vehicle Record (dated no earlier than 7 business days from the date you are turning in the MVR) or have the Plant Operations department obtain a copy of your current MVR. The cost of this report is $6.00. If you obtain your own copy, the College will reimburse this expense when presented with a Petty Cash Slip or a Check Request with the receipt attached.
  • If you have an out-of-state driver’s license, you are responsible for obtaining a current MVR from that state and delivering said copy to the Plant Operations department before the 7-day deadline expires. 
  • Successfully complete Westminster College’s Driver Certification Program (CD-ROM disks are available through Plant Operations) and obtain a Completion Certificate. All Completion Certificates must be turned in to Plant Operations. All drivers wishing to remain certified to drive will need to re-take the Certification Course every three years. 
  • Certify that he or she has had no convictions for driving under the influence, negligent driving, vehicular manslaughter or any other criminal offenses related to operating a motor vehicle. 
  • Read the College’s Van Driver Manual and certify that he or she understands the information. 
  • Commit to driving safely.

If a person’s driving record is less than spotless, the College reserves the right to deny the person’s application for Certification or to issue a Conditional Certification, subject to suspension or termination of College vehicle operating privileges should the person fail to meet the conditions as specified. 

All Certified Drivers have the responsibility to inform the Director of Risk Management of any moving vehicle violations or traffic accidents that occurred while they were driving a College vehicle. Depending upon the facts of each situation, a Certified Driver may be temporarily suspended or permanently barred from operating a vehicle. 

In the event that a person is or becomes a High Risk Driver as determined by the College, that person’s application to be a Certified Driver will be denied and, if already a Certified Driver, the certification and privilege to operate College vehicles may be suspended for a time or terminated permanently. The College adheres to a Zero Tolerance Policy: No person is allowed to operate a vehicle while under the influence. No alcoholic beverages of any kind are allowed in the vehicles: No illegal drugs are allowed in the vehicles at any time: No tobacco products (smoking, snuff, chewing tobacco) are allowed in the vehicles at any time. 

A High Risk Driver is a person who has committed one or more of the following violations: 

  • Conviction for any alcohol and/or drug related driving offenses. 
  • Refusal to submit to a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) test. 
  • Conviction for reckless driving. 
  • Any combination of three or more moving violations, “At Fault Accidents,” or “Preventable Accidents” within the most recent three years. 
  • Suspension, revocation or administrative restriction within the last three years. 
  • Leaving the scene of an accident as defined by the state law where the accident occurred. 
  • At fault in a fatal accident. 
  • Felony committed involving a vehicle. 
  • Two or more physical damage claims to College vehicles in any twelve-month period. 

In the event a faculty or staff member fails to comply with these policies, the College may take any or all of the following actions: 

Suspend for a period of time all use and/or operating privileges

Terminate permanently all use and/or operating privileges. 

Charge for the cost of labor incurred by the College to clean, fill the tank or repair the vehicle. 


A laminated copy of instructions to follow at the scene of an accident is located in the emergency box of each vehicle along with a form to be used for gathering all pertinent accident scene information. Each van has also been equipped with a disposable camera for use at an accident scene. 

Each vehicle is equipped with a basic first aid kit. 

A triangular reflector is located in the rear section of each van in the emergency box. 


Westminster College provides insurance for all College owned vehicles. If a vehicle is rented, the College’s insurance covers the rental, no additional coverage is needed. 

If you drive your own vehicle on College business, your insurance will be the primary insurer, with the College as the secondary.

If you have any further questions, please contact Dixie Egan in Plant Operations (Bamberger Hall room 105) at 801-832-2515.