Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Career Center has transitioned to an entirely virtual model until further notice as part of its commitment to keeping the Westminster community healthy. This is a time of uncertainty for students and alumni, so the Career Center has curated a list of ways you can get career-related support virtually to continue making progress toward reaching your goals during this time.
Virtual Career Center Hours
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- General and Career Coaching Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internship Questions: email@example.com
- Student Employment Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
To access the resources on Handshake, you will need to use your Westminster credentials to log in.
You can schedule a video or phone appointment with the career coaching team. To do so, log in to Handshake, select “Career Center”, then select “Appointments” from the menu. Career Coaches are available virtually for a variety of topics, including:
- Resumes and cover letters
- Career exploration
- Personal branding
- Internship and job searching
- Digital interview preparation
- Mock interviews
- Personal statements
- Career assessment
Internship and Job Search
Handshake is the best place for you to start searching for opportunities to meet your career and professional goals. There are hundreds of jobs and internships posted on Handshake, and many companies are still recruiting. There has also been an increase in remote working opportunities available to you.
Virtual Employer Events
Even when the world slows down, recruitment continues. There are virtual employer events available to you online by visiting Handshake and selecting “Events” from the menu.
Westminster Network on LinkedIn
Join the Westminster Network on LinkedIn to stay connected with opportunities and to view content about advice, jobs, internships, and career readiness in the new socially distanced world.
Westminster's team of certified career coaches provides free, lifetime service to students and alumni. Through application of the most current tools and industry insights, we can help you with:
- Career exploration and pivots
- Job search strategy
- How to find remote opportunities
- Personal branding on LinkedIn
- Cover letter and resume development
- Interview prep
- Virtual mock interviews
- Strengths assessments
- Salary negotiation
- If you're a current student or a recent graduate still using your westminstercollege.edu email address, log into Handshake with your Westminster email credentials and create your profile.
- If you're an alumnus no longer using a westminstercollege.edu email address, log into Handshake and follow the steps for alumni account creation. To gain access to the full menu of appointment types, be sure to complete your profile and select "Alumni" as your school year.
Book an Appointment with a Career Coach
Career coaches are available to you via phone, video chat, or email. Once you've activated your Handshake account and completed your profile, login and click Career Center, then select Appointments.
Access Current Resources
The Handshake Resources Library is open 24/7. Log into Handshake, click Career Center, then select Resources. The library is stocked with current tools to help you with:
- Your COVID-19 job search
- LinkedIn profile
- Cover Letter
- Personal branding
For general Career Center questions, reach out to us at email@example.com.
CareerShift is the newest tool available to Westminster students and alumni to help manage your job and internship searches, access networking contact information, and search which employers are currently hiring. Access this members-only platform for free—the Westminster Career Center has already paid for your membership.
- Go to the CareerShift website
- Select "Sign Up Now"
- Complete the required questions to set up your account (use a Westminster or personal email)
Fine-tune your interview skills using StandOut, a mock video interviewing platform, by recording yourself practicing the most common interview questions. Play it back for yourself or submit your video to a career coach for feedback.
- If you're a current student, a StandOut invitation email was sent to your westminstercollege.edu address with access instructions for your account. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your invite resent if you cannot locate it.
- If you're an alumnus, email email@example.com with your full name, your graduation year, and the email address you'd like attached to your account. The Career Center will create your account and you'll receive an invitation email from StandOut.
Hundreds of students are hired every year to work in a variety of offices and departments on campus.
Get information about internship eligibility, requirements, registration, and policies.
Job Search Websites
Check out a list of job search websites curated by the Career Center's career coaches.
Faculty and staff who supervise student employees on campus can access hiring, payroll, interview, and other resources.
Employers in the community can use Handshake to promote open positions to Westminster students and alumni.
The Career Center at Westminster College creates access and connections between students and employers. The Career Center's job posting database, Handshake, is provided free of charge to employers and to anyone (students and alums) searching for a job or an internship.
All hiring and compensation for work is handled directly between the employer and the job or internship seeker. The Career Center does not guarantee the quality of the job or internship seeker, as we do not perform background checks on individuals applying for jobs. Employers and applicants are encouraged to request reference information from each other as needed to establish qualifications, credentials, and an overall fit between the employer and the applicant.
All job opportunities are posted at the discretion of the Career Center. The Westminster College Career Center abides by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice. The Career Center may deny and/or remove access rights for organizations that do not support the policies and procedures of NACE, Westminster College, or that violate state and/or federal law.
Registering and logging into Handshake indicates you have read, understood, and agreed to terms and conditions of the agreement outlined below:
- The Westminster College Career Center reserves the right to deny access to any student, alum, recruiter, vendor, employer, school, or organization from participating in any recruitment event/service including, but not limited to: on-campus and off-campus recruiting, resume referrals/books, or employment postings.
- By utilizing Career Center events/services, organizations agree they will adhere to the National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE) Principles for Employment Professionals.
The following posting guidelines are provided:
- Positions that require any form of monetary commitment from students prior to employment cannot be posted.
- Third-party recruiters may post positions if the name of the company/organization is available to the candidate.
- Positions that are compensated only by commission can be posted if the payout structure is clearly defined to the candidate.
- Positions that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and any other protected group status will not be posted.
- Positions that do not comply with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) standards will not be posted.
- Internships, both paid and unpaid, that do not comply with the U.S. Department of Labor's Fair Labor Standards Act for Trainees or Students will not be posted.
- Unpaid internship postings with "for-profit" private sector employers that do not encompass the six criteria as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor's Test for Unpaid Interns will not be posted.
- Part-Time/Temporary postings offering compensation lower than the U.S. Department of Labor's Guidelines for Federal Minimum Wage will not be posted.