Center for Financial Analysis
Blending Theory and Experience
The Center for Financial Analysis is an advanced computer classroom and lab that empowers students and faculty to move beyond theoretical learning and practice their disciplines in a real-world environment. The components of the Center vary in scope and complexity but combine to form one of the most advanced, information-rich, financial research centers in the Intermountain West.
real-time global market data, in-depth financial information for publicly traded companies, and historical economic data.
sophisticated models using data from various sources to analyze complex real-world business or financial problems.
powerful software packages to simulate, optimize, forecast, analyze, model, predict, estimate, test, and learn.
new software packages and techniques with our highly trained professional center assistance.
more than 30 people simultaneously with our latest advanced presentation equipment.
Market-making activity with tools that turn the center into a live market.
The CFA is generally open 8:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m., Monday–Thursday and from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. on Fridays. The CFA may close for classes or have limited hours during semester breaks.
CFA For You
The data and analysis available in the Center for Financial Analysis reach across every discipline in the Gore School of Business. While the areas of Finance and Financial Services enjoy many natural synergies with the Center, other disciplines such as Accounting, Economics, Marketing, and Management leverage the wealth of information and powerful applications to teach basic and advanced concepts.
The ever-changing data represents real-world case studies while the in-depth analysis provides insights into the concepts being explored. All students and faculty, regardless of their field of interest, are encouraged to utilize the Center for Financial Analysis to gain a greater understanding of the global capital markets.
The Center provides Westminster faculty with a powerful way to bridge the gap between classroom theory and real-world practice. As a classroom, the Center is a full-service facility that offers any multimedia, Internet, or computing tool that faculty may need to effectively teach.
Faculty can conduct scheduled class sessions themselves within the Center or they can request that the Center staff conduct them. Center staff is always close at hand to offer any needed assistance.
Westminster alumni are most welcome to take advantage of all that the Center has to offer. Investment groups appreciate the Center as an excellent place for special seminars and meetings. Some alumni visit the Center often in order to gather information about the markets or to learn new software programs in the workshops.
Unparalleled in the West, the CFA is equipped with the same tools and technology used every day by industry professionals, providing powerful access to information for exploring and researching global financial markets, economic trends, and business sector analysis.
- Market information is continuously updated and displayed on two video walls.
- Our scrolling ticker in the atrium of the Gore School of Business keeps students, faculty, and staff updated on market changes and breaking news.
- We play up-to-date financial & economic news on multiple monitors throughout the day.
- More than 30 terminals, with dual flat-panel displays, are each equipped with real-time data and powerful analytical tools.
- FactSet is a leading provider of global financial and economic information, including fundamental financial data on tens of thousands of companies worldwide. Combining hundreds of databases into its own dedicated online service, FactSet also provides the tools to download, combine, and manipulate financial data for investment analysis.
- Bloomberg is the industry standard for global financial and economic information. It also is used by professional traders. Students can become Bloomberg Certified through online training tutorials.
- Rise Video Walls provides streaming access to financial market data and the latest news headlines.
- Crystal Ball, a simulation tool that expands the forecasting capability typical spreadsheet models, enables forecasting, risk analysis, and helps take the uncertainty out of decision-making.
- Value Line, Mergent Online, MarketLine, Morningstar and other financial websites available throughout the center provide users with a treasure trove of valuable financial information.