School of Arts and Sciences
Westminster College gives you the opportunity to complement your major area of study with the Data Science minor. Take your understanding of research and data trends to the next level, combining technology and statistical reasoning to extract knowledge from compiled data.
Who It's For
Students in the Data Science minor want to understand the processes behind data acquisition and analysis. And, if you’re majoring in business, mathematics, sociology, computer science, or another program that involves research, you’ll be able to incorporate your personal interests into your coursework.
- Small class sizes that facilitate the group discussions
- The personal attention you need when learning statistical programming language
- Access to RStudio, an integrated development environment
- Interdisciplinary classes where you will question both the technological and social implications of data science
- Multiple areas of emphasis to further customize your minor
About the Program
In an increasingly industrial and automated world, the ability to use data to answer questions and make educated predictions is necessary for a career of consequence. The Data Science minor is designed to help students develop the ability to use data to answer research questions and make professional decisions.
What You'll Learn
- Apply data analysis to solve problems and make predictions in real-world contexts.
- Scrape, clean, process, and evaluate the validity of data from publicly available sources.
- Explore and contrast different methods of data visualization.
- Use new and flexible strategies for tackling real-world issues.
- Effectively work as a member of a team to use data science, leveraging the unique talents and skills in the group to make the whole better than the sum of its parts.
- Use effective verbal presentation and written explanation to discuss data and conclusions.
- Consider the ethical ramifications of gathering, storing, and analyzing data.
- Use data analysis to understand real problems around the world.
Plan of Study
In addition to core classes that explore data science, you will choose an emphasis in statistics, computer science, or mathematics. This will allow you to further tailor your minor and help you develop a capstone project related to your personal interests.
Exploration in Data Science
Data science is at the forefront of the big data revolution. In this course, you will consider the potential consequences of governments, companies, nonprofits, and health care providers analyzing vast amounts of information to make predictions about our lives.
Modern advances in computational power allow us to use technology to build models that help as analyze complex data sets. Through this course, you will explore the theories and applications of statistical learning languages and techniques.
Due to the interdisciplinary character of data, a fundamental knowledge of data science is helpful in most, if not all, types of jobs. Through this minor, you will be prepared to make statistically significant connections that will lead you to a meaningful career.
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data mining engineer
- Data architect
- Machine learning
- Market research analyst