Bachelor of Science
School of Arts and Sciences
The Justice Studies Program at Westminster College
In the justice studies program, we break down justice into its ethical, social, and political components to analyze their significance and evaluate their consequences. Our program encourages you to pay attention to justice in relation to your particular areas of interest—to forge an independent path of study towards a meaningful career. Throughout our program, you will explore intersections beyond the conventional study of crime, such as gender, ability, race, class, and citizenship status.
Our program’s holistic approach helps students understand why institutions may not behave a certain way. Students are encouraged to take interdisciplinary coursework that exposes them to different ways of thinking about the nature of justice.
Who the Justice Studies Program Is For
Justice studies appeals to students who want a curriculum that cultivates self-awareness and analytical skills. Entering the competitive field of law and justice requires students to have a solid foundation in cultural and legal subject matters. If you want an interdisciplinary approach to justice, we have the program for you.
- Develop effective verbal and written communication skills
- Develop, critique, and conduct research
- Demonstrate collaborative problem-solving skills
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Develop practices of global responsibility
- Develop a broad, interdisciplinary understanding of justice concepts and ethics
- Critically engage with current justice studies literature
sample Justice studies courses
- JUST-109: Power and Social Change
- JUST-221: Community Justice
- JUST-305: Intersectional Activism
- JUST-310: Law and Society
Connie Etter, Ph.D
Mike Zarkin, Ph.D
The program can also be taken as a minor, which will enable you to view justice through broad lenses.
- Our program values the complex nature of knowledge related to social justice and ethics.
- We stress the importance of the interpretation of existing bodies of knowledge and their corresponding research methods.
- Our small class sizes will give you space for the discussion-based education you need.
- Justice studies faculty members come from a variety of specialties, providing multiple
approaches to questions prominent in the field.
Justice Studies Career Opportunities
Westminster’s justice studies major is intended for students planning to attend graduate school or careers in community service. Our students are prepared to succeed in law, social justice, public administration, environmental protection, and urban affairs.
- Public policy analysis
- International development
- Community organization
- Violence prevention
Given the rigorous nature of our program, justice studies prepares students for a successful, post-collegiate career. Our students have been admitted to the following graduate and professional programs over the past few years:
- Arizona State University
- Brock University (Canada)
- Michigan State University
- Pacific University
- University of Utah
There's No Better Investment Than You
Westminster College knows you want an education where you matter—a place that will serve as a launchpad for a successful career and a meaningful life. Westminster will work with you individually through every step of the financial aid process. From scholarships to grants and loans, Westminster helps you make it happen.
With the highest percentage of students who complete one or more internships in the state, Westminster students hit the ground running with real-world experience. Plus, 90% of students were either employed or attending graduate school within 5 months of graduating. With a Westminster degree, you don't have to choose between a successful career and a fulfilling life.
You’ll be automatically considered for scholarship and grant opportunities.
In addition to general merit scholarships, other scholarship programs are available to support you throughout your time at Westminster.Check Out Scholarships
Your tuition, fully paid
All students should have the ability to explore their passions. Westminster College is proud to cover the cost of tuition for qualifying students through the Westminster Commitment.