May Term Study Experiences
May Term Study Experiences are a long-standing Westminster tradition, and many students look back on their study experience as the highlight of their time at Westminster. Designed to be cost-effective with maximum impact, they are a great short-term study abroad option. Successful completion of any May Term Study Experience will fulfill the WCore Engaging the World requirement.
All currently enrolled Westminster undergraduate students are eligible to register for a study experience. Students who wish to participate but not register for a course must receive permission from the faculty leader. Non-student guests who are over 18 years old can participate if space is available and the faculty leader gives permission. Non-student participants do not earn credits or pay tuition, but must pay the advertised cost for trip expenses.
Each study experience offers different courses depending on the faculty leaders and the location of travel. The majority of courses offered as part of the study experiences do not have prerequisites. Students will register for 1 course worth 4 credits. Courses can fulfill the WCore Engaging the World requirement or a general elective. Students should speak with their faculty advisor if they would like the course to fulfill a major/minor requirement.
Payment of full-time tuition for fall and spring semesters earns 4 discounted credits (2 credits per semester), which students can use for a May Term Study Experience. Therefore, a student will only pay the published travel expenses if they earned 4 credits. If a student has not earned the 4 credits and would like to participate in a study experience, the student will need to pay the tuition cost per credit hour for the course and the published travel expenses.
See the undergraduate summer tuition schedule for the per credit cost.
Registration for 2022 May Term Study Experiences will begin on October 26, 2021. Registration is first-come, first-served, and will continue until the study experience is full or until Jan. 31, whichever comes first. Please be aware that some study experiences will fill quickly.
Registration for May Term Study Experiences is not through Self Service. View upcoming May Term Study Experiences.
A $300 deposit is required to confirm participation in a study experience and must be paid before registering. The deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable and will be applied towards the trip expenses.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All participants are required to provide evidence of vaccination for COVID-19 before departure. Many locations are now implementing different rules for vaccinated versus unvaccinated travelers. Unvaccinated travelers may not be able to enter certain countries, be required to quarantine, undergo stringent testing requirements, and have limited access to public and private spaces. Therefore, those with vaccine exemption/accommodation may not participate in 2022 May Term Study Experiences.
Any student with a registration hold will be contacted by the Office for Global Engagement. Failure to resolve the hold within 48 hours of being contacted may result in the student forfeiting the spot in the Study Experience. To avoid any complications, all students are encouraged to look in Self-Service for information on holds and resolve any outstanding holds prior to signing up for a May Term Study Experience.
Payment Schedule for all Study Experiences
Deposit Due: Upon registration
Final Payment Due: Feb. 1
The remaining program cost will be assessed as a course fee on your tuition account. Since the final payment does not follow the regular May Term tuition schedule, you will see tuition plus the trip expenses on your account. If you earned the 4 discounted credits, you are only responsible for paying the trip expenses.
- To withdraw from a study experience, the participant must notify the faculty leader in writing of the intention to withdraw.
- A $300 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable unless Westminster College cancels
the May Term Study Experience due to insufficient enrollment or COVID-19 prior to
Jan. 31, 2022.
If a participant decides to withdraw from a May Term Study Experience due to a non-COVID-related reason after Jan. 31, 2022, 50% of the trip expenses are non-refundable beginning Feb. 2, 2022 and 100% of the trip expenses are non-refundable beginning April 1, 2022.
- If a participant withdraws from the study experience because of COVID-19 directly before departure or during the study experience, any costs related to the COVID-19 diagnosis, including, but not limited to, medical expenses, quarantine/isolation lodging, meals, and/or itinerary changes, are the sole responsibility of the participant. Westminster College will refund any recoverable expenses recovered from third parties, however, any unrecoverable expenses are non-refundable and are the participant’s responsibility.
- Westminster College reserves the right to cancel a study experience or make modifications to the itinerary and/or academic program due to factors that are beyond Westminster's control. In the event of such a cancellation after Jan. 31, 2022, the college will refund any recoverable expenses to the participant. Any other unrecoverable expenses are non-refundable and will be the responsibility of the participant.
- If a student did not earn 4 discounted summer credits and has to pay tuition, tuition fees will follow the Summer Semester tuition payment and refund schedule.
Share your memorable moments.
Learning beyond the classroom can be a truly transformative experience. Sharing those experiences invites, inspires, and encourages others to step outside their comfort zones and try something new. Whether you’re embarking on a Field Semester, Expedition, May Term Study Experience, or Non-Credit Trip, follow a few tips for sharing your experience on social media.