Financial Aid Appeals
Westminster understands that there may be circumstances that affect your ability to pay for college that may not have been apparent in your initial financial aid information. Financial Aid Appeals are available to all returning and admitted students. If you have any questions, contact the Financial Aid Office.
Details for additional appeal processes are being developed and will be made available when ready.
Special Circumstances Appeal
Financial aid regulations allow Westminster College to use professional judgment to update your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after certain major life changes. The Special Circumstances Appeal process works to recalculate the FAFSA with your current income data.
It is important to understand that not all Special Circumstances Appeals will result in changes to your FAFSA and/or financial aid offer.
Major life changes that can be taken into consideration:
- Income reduction or one-time payments received that are not recurring
- Death of a parent or spouse
- Unusual medical, dental, and nursing home expenses
- Financial support paid to extended family members
- Elementary/secondary school tuition costs
- Dependent care expenses
- Unusual debts
Major life changes that cannot be taken into consideration:
- Mortgage payments
- Property taxes
- Consumer debt (credit card, vehicle payments, etc.)
- Parent refusal to help cover educational expenses
The form to file a Special Circumstances Appeal will be available soon. The types of documentation required based on your circumstance will be indicated to you as you fill out the form.