The Westminster School of Education’s ArtsConnect initiative offers arts-integrated professional development and continuing education programming for classroom teachers, arts educators, paraprofessionals, and administrators throughout Utah. Generously funded by the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program and an endowment from Beverley Taylor Sorenson and the Sorenson Legacy Foundation, these opportunities for growth in curricular design and implementation in arts integration will help educators provide arts-rich learning experiences for children in Utah and around the world.
Arts Education Continuing Education Program
Westminster’s Arts Education (AED) Continuing Education Program focuses on the progressive pedagogical approach of arts integration. Instruction location/format varies and may be located off the Westminster campus.
Westminster offers continuing education credit courses that help you meet the continuing education requirements in your career. Courses qualify for lane-change credit in most school districts (approved by your LEA beforehand). Completing some of the courses results in receiving funds for classroom art supplies. Additionally, If you are pursuing any of the following arts-related education endorsements, select courses can be taken to satisfy some requirements:
- Utah State Board of Education Elementary Arts Integration Endorsement
- Utah State Board of Education elementary arts specialist endorsements:
- Elementary Dance Specialist Endorsement
- Elementary Drama Specialist Endorsement
- Elementary Music Specialist Endorsement
- Elementary Visual Arts Specialist Endorsement
- AED 01: Arts Integration Methods
- AED 02: Content Methods (in either Dance, Music, Visual Arts, or Drama)
- AED 03: Arts Connect International Rwanda
- AED 05: Directed Study (can be repeated to complete studies of other topics)
A scholarship opportunity is available for AED 01 and 02.
Workshops/Professional Development Opportunities (AED 04)
Various arts education and arts integration workshops and professional development opportunities are offered throughout the year that emphasize using the arts to enhance learning across the curriculum. CEUs (Continuing Education Units) earned vary by opportunity. Opportunities qualify for lane-change credit in most school districts (approved by your LEA beforehand).
Westminster offers several undergraduate programs you may be interested in pursuing. And, for undergraduate students who already know they are interested in also obtaining a master of arts in teaching, Westminster offers an accelerated option for the Master of Arts in Teaching program. Students pursuing this option need to take EDUC 302 and EDUC 312 as a part of their undergraduate studies.
- Art (major and minor)
- Arts Administration (major)
- Educational Studies (major and minor)
- Elementary Education (major)
- Dance (major and minor)
- Outdoor Education and Leadership (major and minor)
- Music (major and minor)
- Special Education (major and minor)
- Teaching Students of Other Languages (TESOL) (minor)
- Theatre Arts (major and minor)
Utah Professional Arts Organizations
Utah has several professional organizations you may consider joining to explore additional professional development opportunities and network with other arts professionals:
If you have any questions about the ArtsConnect initiative, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Faculty
Rebecca Penerosa, Ph.D