Admitted International Students
Congratulations on being admitted to Westminster College! The following is a list of things to do to help make your transition to Westminster as smooth as possible. If you have questions, email the International Admissions Office (email@example.com) to schedule a video call with an international admissions counselor.
1. Submit your I-20 Application to Westminster
The SEVIS Form I-20 is a 3-page document used by students to obtain a F-1 student visa. Westminster College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. Upon acceptance, non-immigrant students submit financial guarantee documents and request the initial or transfer SEVIS Form I-20.
Upload your I-20 application documents to your Westminster application portal, including:
- A copy of your passport information page
- A bank statement or other evidence of ability to pay
- Statement of Financial Responsibility form
- Transfer Students: You must also ask your current school to fill out the SEVIS Transfer-In Form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have dependents (your children, spouse, etc.), you need to also submit their passports and the Dependent Statement of Financial Responsibility form.
2. Pay Your Tuition and Housing Deposit
Tuition and housing deposits are combined for international students. Pay your deposit to secure your spot at Westminster. After paying the deposit, the International Admissions Office can issue you the Form I-20 for your student visa application. Additionally, after you pay your deposit, you will be ready to register for classes and housing when those registration periods begin.
A recommend deposit by date is provided to international students due to the many steps related to the visa process that you will take. Following this recommendation and completing other admitted student steps on time will allow you to apply for a visa and arrive in Utah for orientation. For fall entry, it is recommended you pay your deposit by May 1. For spring entry, it is recommended you pay your deposit by October 31.
- Pay online:
- Pay by phone:
3. Apply for a student visa with the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country
Students who are entering the United States for the first time with an I-20 will need to complete the following steps with the Department of Homeland Security:
- Payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee. The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses SEVIS fee payments to fund and maintain the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the immigration database used to process documents for international students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States.
- Apply for the non-immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. All visa applicants must submit a completed DS-160 Online Non-immigrant Visa Application. You will need your passport and SEVIS ID number to complete this form.
- Schedule the visa interview.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Prepare for and attend the visa interview.
F-1 students and their dependents are permitted to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the report date, #5 on the I-20 form. Dependents (spouse or children) accompanying the F-1 student in F-2 status must have their own SEVIS Form I-20 issued in the name of the dependent.
For more information about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student, visit the Homeland Security website.
4. Join the Admitted Student Community on Instagram
Follow the @WestminsterAdmissions Instagram page where you can ask all your questions about what to bring with you, meet other admitted Griffins, stay up do date on registration and new-student activities, and learn more about the Westminster community as a whole.
5. Register for Classes
Registration begins in April for fall semester and November for spring semester.
- If you do not live in Utah and cannot attend Griffin GearUp, you can schedule an academic advising video meeting and register for classes with your academic advisor.
- Students living in Utah and starting classes in the fall semester are invited to attend Griffin GearUp. You must register for Griffin GearUp in advance. If you attend Griffin GearUp, you will meet with your academic advisor to register for your classes.
6. Register for Housing
Westminster College requires that all first- and second-year students live on campus. Campus housing is in high demand. Secure your spot in one of the residence halls early. The first- and second-year Westminster living experience is designed to provide students with the best possible college experience. Application open date and deadline to be announced.
7. Fly in on Arrival Days
Admitted for Fall 2022: Aug. 19–20
Airport pick-up service is available for new international students arriving from abroad. Email Alison Vásquez (email@example.com) in the Office for Global Engagement to schedule a pickup.
8. Attend Orientation
Admitted for Fall 2022: Aug. 21–23
9. Attend Classes
Be ready to attend classes on the semester start date:
Admitted for Fall 2022: Aug. 24
10. Attend International Student Orientation
Admitted for Fall 2022: Aug. 26
If you have any questions about the steps you need to take after being admitted to Westminster, reach out to the International Admissions team member you have already been in contact with or contact the International Admissions Office at 1.801.832.2200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.