A grant is a form of financial aid that can be used to help pay for college. Grants are generally need-based and do not need to be repaid. Some grants have requirements upon graduation to ensure repayment is not necessary. Financial need is calculated by subtracting a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Cost of Attendance.

To be considered for federal and institutional grant programs, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Westminster's FAFSA school code is 003681. International students do not qualify for federal grants or the institutional Griffin Grant, however the International Admissions office does offer a special grant opportunity.

Federal Grants

You will automatically be considered for all federal grant programs by completing your FAFSA.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is only available to undergraduate students working toward their first bachelor’s degree. Eligibility is determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA as well as whether you are enrolled as a full-time or part-time student.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is only available to undergraduate students working toward their first bachelor’s degree. The Westminster Financial Aid Office determines eligibility for the SEOG and priority is given to students with the greatest financial need.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is available to undergraduate, postbaccalaureate, and graduate students and provides up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. TEACH is different from other federal student grants because it requires you to take certain kinds of classes in order to get the grant, and then do a certain kind of job to keep the grant from turning into a loan.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is available to undergraduate students who are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant based on FAFSA EFC, but had a parent or guardian die as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year.

Institutional Grant

Griffin Grant

All incoming undergraduate students (except for international students and students in the RN-to-BS in Nursing and Bachelor of Business Administration programs) who complete their FAFSA and Westminster’s application for admission will be considered for Westminster‘s Griffin Grant. If you qualify, the income-based Griffin Grant will be included in the comprehensive and personalized financial aid package you receive. Grant amounts offered will vary based on your prior academic history and calculated financial need. If you're unable to complete the FAFSA, contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

Check out all your financial aid options.

Learn more