Conservation in Costa Rica
This extended field-study course will include weekly on-campus meetings with a field trip to Costa Rica over spring break. This distinctive interdisciplinary course will focus on two key themes: Tropical Ecology and Conservation and The Politics of Ecotourism. Students will study unique Costa Rica ecosystems, the use of policy to juggle biodiversity conservation and economic development, and the political implications of this balancing act. The field portion of the course will include time in the political hub of San José, remote tropical rainforests and the Pacific Coast of the Osa Peninsula, and a high elevation cloud forest near Monteverde.
Spring Semester 2023 Study Abroad in Costa Rica Trip Details
Travel to: San José, Osa Peninsula, and Monteverde, Costa Rica
Travel Dates: March 3–12, 2023
Engaging the World: Successful completion of this May Term Study Experience with a grade of C- or better fulfills the Engaging the World graduation requirement.
Course Fee: $2,460 ($300 non-refundable deposit due at time of registration, $2,160 due by Dec. 16, 2022).
- Includes round-trip airfare (Utah to Costa Rica), accommodations, most meals, required entrance fees, shared field gear, international health insurance, and faculty expenses.
- Students will need an estimated $150-300 spending money for incidentals, some meals, and other personal expenses.
Course (choose 1): BIOL*300E*01 or ENVI*330E*01
Prerequisites: Previously or currently enrolled in ENVI*101 or BIOL*203 or instructor permission.
Registration will open at 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 3, 2022 and will remain open until Dec. 16, 2022 or the class is full, whichever comes first. Participants will need to pay a non-refundable and non-transferable $300 deposit by credit or debit card to hold their spot.
- A $300 deposit is due at the time of registration. The deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable unless Westminster College cancels the course due to insufficient enrollment.
- The balance of the course fee ($2,160) will be posted to Self-Service and is due in full by Dec. 16, 2022.
- Tuition for Spring Semester is billed separately and is due by Jan. 1, 2023.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- To withdraw from the Conservation in Costa Rica program, you must notify the faculty leader in writing of the intention to withdraw
- The $300 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable unless Westminster College cancels the course due to insufficient enrollment
- If you withdraw from the course between Nov. 2, 2022, and Jan. 18, 2023, you are responsible for the $300 deposit and $1,380 of the course fee
- If you withdraw from the course on Jan. 19, 2023, or later, you are responsible for 100% of the course fee ($2,460)
- Payment and refund schedule for tuition and fees will follow the Spring Semester tuition payment and refund schedule
- Westminster College reserves the right to cancel this class or make modifications to the itinerary and/or academic program due to factors that are beyond Westminster's control