The Westminster Outdoor Program exemplifies Westminster's unique environment for learning, which is located minutes from world-class skiing, mountain biking, and rock climbing in the local Wasatch Mountains. Beyond the Wasatch lie Utah's red rock deserts, wild rivers, and vast wilderness areas—all of which become both Westminster's playground and classroom.
Through meaningful outdoor experiences, the Outdoor Program helps students to develop leadership, technical skills, self-awareness, character, and stewardship. Student leadership is a priority for the program and most outdoor trips are student-led. Graduates who were a part of the Outdoor Program often leave Westminster having weeks of valuable field experience, advanced certifications, and an understanding of how lessons learned in the outdoors can apply to other areas of college, career, and everyday life.
Whether you're joining us for an evening hike or a weekend in the backcountry, you'll most likely learn something new, meet interesting people, and spend time in awe-inspiring places.
Upcoming Trips and Events
Westminster students, faculty, staff, alumni, and their guests are welcome to participate in outdoor program trips and events. We're committed to supporting anyone who is interested in getting involved regardless of skill level, previous experience, or equipment needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you would like to participate but cannot pay the entire event fee. While modest, the Outdoor Program Participation Fund is designed to help in these cases.
Bryce Canyon Exploration
October 7–9, 2022
Camp in and hike through the epic and otherworldly landscape of Bryce Canyon National Park! This will be a great chance to explore one of the most unique and stunning of Utah's red rock desert landscapes, meet people, and decompress from the school week in a beautiful place.
Cost: $70 includes all food, transportation, equipment, and instruction.
Halloween Bouldering Competition
October 27, 2022
4–7:00 p.m. general competition
8:00 p.m. finals start
This will be a non-gendered, skill-based competition with beginner, intermediate, and advanced categories! You will self assess your category. If you complete more than 2 climbs in the next category up, you will be bumped to that category. Other fun includes a costume competition, raffles, pizza and prizes for finalists!
Location: Bishop’s Wall In Eccles HWAC
Wilderness First Aid Course
November 18–20, 2022
This course is a standard, 3-day Wilderness First Aid course through the Wilderness Medicine Training Center (WMTC). View the course syllabus. Westminster students wishing to receive academic credit for this course (1) should first register for OEL 245B. People holding current WAFA, WFR, or WEMT certifications can use this course to recertify. People wishing to recertify using this standard WFA course must pass the WAFA, WFR or WEMT Recertification online exams within two months of completing the in-person course. View the list of currently approved providers.
Cost: $255 for Westminster Community: Students, Faculty, Staff, Alumni, and graduates of WMTC courses through Westminster
$295 for Non-Westminster Community
Wilderness First Responder/WEMT Course
March 3–7, 2023
This is a Hybrid Wilderness First Responder course through the Wilderness Medicine Training Center (WMTC). This course requires 40+ hours of independent online study and testing (Part 1)
prior to the in-person practical session (Part 2) March 3-7, 2023. Westminster students
wishing to receive academic credit for this course (2) should first register for OEL
Email email@example.com if you have questions or need help getting registered. If you're hoping to take this course to complete your WEMT, please contact us for more information.
Cost: $510 for Westminster Community: Students, Faculty, Staff, & Alumni (includes the Part 1 independent study and the Part 2 practical session)
$430 for Non-Westminster Community (includes the Part 2 practical session only, Part 1 is completed through WMTC)
Kayak Roll Sessions
Wednesdays, 8:00–10 p.m.
First–timers meet in the Eccles HWAC Aquatic Center from 8–8:30 p.m. All other current students, faculty and staff arrive at 8:30 p.m. to come practice your roll and kayaking skills.
Intro Climbing Hour
Fridays, 1:00 p.m.
Location: Bishop’s Wall in Eccles HWAC
This time is dedicated to new climbers who want to “learn the ropes." No equipment or experience required– just come ready to climb. If you haven’t already, please complete the Climbing Wall Registration before arriving.
Faculty/Staff Climbing Hour
Last Friday of each month, 12:00 p.m.
Location: Bishop’s Wall in Eccles HWAC
Heard of “walking meetings?” Now you can have climbing meetings too! Or just come climb. No equipment or experience required– just come ready to climb.. If you haven’t already, please complete the Climbing Wall Registration before arriving.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- If there is a fee, you must pay for the trip or event before you are considered to be registered. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you're having trouble with payment.
- If you register for a trip and cancel before the registration deadline (if applicable), you can receive a refund for the trip.
- If you register for a trip and cancel before the pre-trip meeting (if applicable), but after the registration deadline (if applicable), you can apply the registration fees as a credit toward a future trip with the Outdoor Program within the same academic school year.
- If you cancel after the pre-trip meeting (if applicable), no refunds or credits will be given.
- You MUST attend scheduled pre-trip meetings for trips if applicable. Meeting dates and times vary and will be included in event information. If you do not attend the meeting and have not made other arrangements with us to get trip information, your spot on the trip may be forfeited. Email email@example.com with any questions or concerns about attending pre-trip meetings.
- No refunds for Wilderness First Responder/First Aid/re-certifications, avalanche certification courses, and AMGA Single Pitch Instructor course will be given unless the Outdoor Program cancels the event.