The Westminster Outdoor Program exemplifies Westminster's unique environment for learning, which is located minutes from world-class skiing, mountain biking, and rock climbing in the local Wasatch Mountains. Beyond the Wasatch lie Utah's red rock deserts, wild rivers, and vast wilderness areas—all of which become both Westminster's playground and classroom.
Through meaningful outdoor experiences, the Outdoor Program helps students to develop leadership, technical skills, self-awareness, character, and stewardship. Student leadership is a priority for the program and most outdoor trips are student-led. Graduates who were a part of the Outdoor Program often leave Westminster having weeks of valuable field experience, advanced certifications, and an understanding of how lessons learned in the outdoors can apply to other areas of college, career, and everyday life.
Whether you're joining us for an evening hike or a weekend in the backcountry, you'll most likely learn something new, meet interesting people, and spend time in awe-inspiring places.
Upcoming Trips and Events
Westminster students, faculty, staff, alumni, and their guests are welcome to participate in outdoor program trips and events. We're committed to supporting anyone who is interested in getting involved regardless of skill level, previous experience, or equipment needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate but are unable to pay the entire event fee. While modest, the Outdoor Program Participation Fund is designed to help in these cases.
Tuesday, Mar. 16, 2021, 5:00 p.m.
This workshop is designed to give participants an introduction to using free Caltopo online mapping tools to assess terrain, plan routes, and make backcountry travel decisions in winter. Facilitated by the Outdoor Program’s AJ Verkouw.
This event is virtual and free.
Spring Bouldering Competition
Join us for the Spring 2021 Westminster Bouldering Competition at Bishop’s Wall in HWAC. This will be a self-paced scorecard based competition that aims to be an inclusive, fun, and supportive way to celebrate the climbing community at Westminster!
This event is FREE and in-person following current climbing wall COVID-19 policies.
Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT Certification Course
May 10–14, 2021
40+ hours of independent online work is required before the course dates. Students can take this course for academic credit (2).
Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT Recertification and Wilderness First Aid Course
May 15–16, 2021
15+ hours of independent online work is required before the course dates. Students can take this course for academic credit (1).
Pop-up Beacon Park
Date and time TBA.
Follow us on Instagram @westminsteroutdoorprogram to find out when we’ll do an on-campus pop-up avalanche transceiver park. Layer up, bring your gear or borrow ours, and practice your beacon searches on your way to class.
- If there is a fee, you must pay for the trip or event before you are considered to be registered. Email email@example.com if you're having trouble with payment.
- If you register for a trip and cancel before the registration deadline (if applicable), you can receive a refund for the trip.
- If you register for a trip and cancel before the pre-trip meeting (if applicable), but after the registration deadline (if applicable), you can apply the registration fees as a credit toward a future trip with the Outdoor Program within the same academic school year.
- If you cancel after the pre-trip meeting (if applicable), no refunds or credits will be given.
- You MUST attend scheduled pre-trip meetings for trips if applicable. Meeting dates and times vary and will be included in event information. If you do not attend the meeting and have not made other arrangements with us to get trip information, your spot on the trip may be forfeited. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns about attending pre-trip meetings.
- No refunds for Wilderness First Responder/First Aid/re-certifications, avalanche certification courses, and AMGA Single Pitch Instructor course will be given unless the Outdoor Program cancels the event.