Diversity Scholarships and Awards
External diversity scholarships and awards are offered by several organizations in addition to your other financial aid options of loans, federal and institutional grants, Westminster scholarships, and federal work study.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Scholarships
The Salt Lake City alums chapter for Omega Psi Phi provides many scholarships including an African American High School Male Award for high school seniors and currently enrolled college students and a scholarship for the winners of their national high school essay contest.
- Jackie Robinson Scholarship
- Xerox Technical Minority Scholarship
- Agnes Jones Jackson Scholarship
- Minority Disadvantaged Scholarship for Architecture
- Displaced Women of Utah Scholarship
Association of Raza Educators Scholarships
The Association of Raza Educators provides undocumented students with an opportunity to realize their dreams of attending college.
Esperanza Education Fund
The Esperanza Education Fund provides scholarships and professional mentorships to local immigrant students.
American Association of University Women (AAUW)
AAUW offers 6 fellowships and grant programs for women in graduate programs.
The Student Diversity and Inclusion Center's Queer Compass program provides a list of scholarships for students in the LGBTQIA+ community. Scholarships have individual deadlines.
For information on other scholarships, visit Campus Pride's LGBTQ Scholarships Database. Campus Pride's database is a great additional source that includes scholarships across the entire U.S. for queer-identifying students. Users can limit their search by a number of criteria.
2020 Gamma Mu Scholarship application opens: Mar. 1, 2020
2020 Folisi & Goodwin Scholarship in Memory of Ray Williams application opens: Mar. 15, 2020
2020 applications close: Mar. 31, 2020
- Submit a completed application online no later than Mar. 31
- Have completed high school or the GED by June of the application year
- Be admitted to an accredited college, university, or vocational institution for fall of the current year or spring of the following year
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a gay male (for the Gamma Mu Scholarship) or a LGBT student (for the Folisi & Goodwin Scholarship in Memory of Ray Williams) under 35 years of age at time of application
Learn more about Gamma Mu Foundation scholarships and complete the application by visiting the Gamma Mu Foundation website.
2020 application opens: Apr. 1, 2020
2020 application closes: June 6, 2020
- Successful completion of a minimum of 2 years of post-high school education at an accredited college or university
- Maintenance of a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on 4-point scale) for the entirety of the student's college/university enrollment
- A declared major in an accredited STEM program or STEM-related teaching field
- An active supporter of and participant in programs or organizations that promote LGBTQ inclusion and visibility
- Students must be eligible for fall term registration and must not be under disciplinary sanction.
Learn more about the Out to Innovate Scholarship and complete the application by visiting the National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals website.
2020 application opens: Jan. 2020
- College first-year, sophomore, or junior student
- Age 27 or younger
- Active commitment to fighting HIV/AIDS and taking on roles of public service and leadership (e.g. providing peer-based prevention and education; engaging in advocacy or grassroots activism; raising public awareness; and/or delivering practical, emotional or treatment support to people living with HIV/AIDS)
- Planning on continuing to find ways to make a difference in the HIV/AIDS epidemic through career or public service opportunities after education is complete
Learn more about the Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship and get the application by visiting the National AIDS Memorial website.
2020 application opens: Nov. 1, 2019
2020 application closes: Jan. 27, 2020
- Must be enrolled or intending to enroll at an accredited college or university based in the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, in Fall 2020. Students enrolled or intending to enroll in a college or university in a United States territory are NOT eligible.
- Must be “out” as a person who identifies as a member of the LGBTQ community
- Must be enrolled full-time for the full academic year
- Must be enrolled in a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate/doctoral program. Post-doctoral research programs are not eligible
- If selected as a finalist, the finalist must be in North or Central America on Apr. 23-25 and be available to fly to Los Angeles to remain eligible for the scholarship. All travel expenses will be covered by the Point Foundation.
Learn more about the Point Scholarship and complete the application by visiting the Point Foundation website.
2020 application opens: Apr. 2020
- Enrolled in college in any year of study, including graduate school
- Academic achievement
- Outstanding community service and leadership
- Commitment to impacting LGBTQ issues
Learn more about the Traub-Dicker Rainbow Scholarship and complete the application by visiting the Stonewall Community Foundation website.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Scholarship
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. provides several scholarships including merit, need-based, and Youth Partners Accessing Capital (PAC) scholarships.
Gates Millennium Scholars Program
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program promotes academic excellence by providing opportunities for outstanding minority students in their senior year of high school who demonstrate significant financial need.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation's scholarship programs provide financial assistance and academic support to high school, undergraduate, and graduate students.
Somos Foundation Scholarship
The Utah Hispanic Chamber of Commerce awards need-based scholarships that recognize academic and vocational agreement, demonstrated leadership in school, and community or other service activities.
The Step Up Utah Scholarship List is a great resource for African American and minority high school students.
Scholarships to Apply to Over Summer
View a list of 32 scholarships to apply for over summer break.