Business Computer Information Systems
Bachelor of Science
School of Arts and Sciences, Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business
The Business Computer Information System Program at Westminster College
The computer information systems major at Westminster College combines computer technologies and business models to prepare students for a successful career. Through this program, you will learn how to manage computer technology to optimize the processes within an organization. You’ll cultivate problem-solving skills as you merge knowledge across disciplines.
Who the Business Computer Information System Program Is For
Information-systems professionals have a technical knowledge of computer software and understand how organizations work. Our program attracts students who want to think critically about situations and integrate technology into the business world.
- Actively participate in and execute the practice of software development
- Plan, design, test, and implement a hardware or software project individually and as part of a group
- Apply business, statistical, modeling, and computer science principles and skills to identify business problems, research, craft solution strategies, and develop an effective course of action
- Use a data and computer science platform to process structured and unstructured data,
construct data architecture, design visual dashboards, and deploy predictive models
to find solutions to business problems that achieve stated objectives
sample BUSINESS courses
- BUSI-101A: Business Fundamentals I: Communicating
- CMPT-251: Computer Systems and Programming
- BUSI-101B: Business Fundamentals I: Calculating
- CMPT-306: Algorithms
Business Career Opportunities
The demand is increasing for graduates who understand computer systems and can apply their skills to meet the needs of a business. Through electives and course emphases offered in our program, you will be able to tailor your career to fit your passions.
Potential BUSINESS Careers
- Application and business analyst
- Database administrator
- IT consultant
- Systems developer
- UX analyst
- Web content manager
- Students work with standard software and development environments to be at the top of their fields.
- We emphasize information technology and implementation.
- Our small class sizes create the perfect environment to learn about project management and ask questions.
Westminster College knows you want an education where you matter—a place that will serve as a launchpad for a successful career and a meaningful life. Westminster will work with you individually through every step of the financial aid process. From scholarships to grants and loans, Westminster helps you make it happen.
With the highest percentage of students who complete one or more internships in the state, Westminster students hit the ground running with real-world experience. Plus, 90% of students were either employed or attending graduate school within 5 months of graduating. With a Westminster degree, you don't have to choose between a successful career and a fulfilling life.
You’ll be automatically considered for scholarship and grant opportunities.
In addition to general merit scholarships, other scholarship programs are available to support you throughout your time at Westminster.Check Out Scholarships
Your tuition, fully paid
All students should have the ability to explore their passions. Westminster College is proud to cover the cost of tuition for qualifying students through the Westminster Commitment.
Aspirations in Computing Scholarships
The Aspirations in Computing Scholarship awards $3,000 per year for first-year, female, incoming students who have been honored by the national or regional NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Program. Winners, honorable mentions, rising stars, and certificate recipients from all regions are eligible. You must remain in good academic standing and complete a computer science course by the end of your first year at Westminster. This scholarship is in addition to other merit- and need-based aid you may be awarded (not to exceed the total of tuition and fees).
How to Apply
- Apply to Westminster
- Email Dr. Helen Hu (firstname.lastname@example.org) to notify here that you would like to apply for the Aspirations Scholarship
How to Renew Your Scholarship
- Complete at least 1 Computer Science class by the end of your first year
- Remain a student in good standing
For questions, email Dr. Helen Hu (email@example.com).